Sign in with
Your question

PhenomII X4 940(AM2+/125w)vs AthlonII X4 630(AM3/95w)vs suggestions?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 13, 2010 8:28:05 AM

Hey folks, time to upgrade my athlon II 245 for something beefier. this franken-system was put together in many stages, as are many amd systems these days.

Bought an "am3 ready" board in early 2009 (really am2+) to replace a fried am2 board that ALMOST made it as long as was needed. I retained my ddr2/am2 chip. then last fall, put the am2 x2 4000 in another system and bought an am3 athlon II 245, and has handled great as a stop-gat measure.

But i have a buyer for the 245, so the time has come for a quad to take its place.

I had my heart set on the "released" athon II 640, as it was claimed to be taking the price point of its descendant. Unfortunately, in Canada, pricing didnt quite work out that way. The 635 is staying still@ $119 CAD, while the 640 is priced@ $134.99 when it arrives @ my preferred retailer next week.

That being said, Ive narrowed my choice to 2 cpus, based on price/performance and availability:

All $$ in Canadian dollars ($1CAD = ~0.95$ USD)

--------------------------------
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - OEM -- $118+$4.99 s+h

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...

AMD Athlon II X4 630 (95W) Quad Core Socket AM3 , 2.8GHz, 2Mb Cache, 1800MHz HT, 45nm (ADX630WFGIBOX) ---- $ 109.99 MINUS ~$10 with dealer discount. (!!)

----------------------------------

the differences are obvious, 125w v 95w (im in a condo so i dont pay extra for the juice, but the green in me would err to avoid more power consumption). And of course, full k10 l3 cache vs nada.

I do plan on marginal overclocking (ie, i have my 2.9ghz running smoothly @3.45ghz with STOCK VOLTAGE...with C&Q enabled).

I bought a scythe shuriken in anticipation of this upgrade, so OEM is fine, if not preferred due to the savings vs a cpu in-a-box. Because im am2+ i dont get any advantage from am2+ vs am3 so thats how the x4 940 got on the top of the list, despite worse overclock headroom. (correct me if im wrong)

I wont be gaming on this machine (unless you count online poker...i dont). multitasking/archiving/video performance/longevity are the main purposes of this upgrade. I want at least equal performance out of 1-2 thread processes to my ii x2 245, and quad core advantage where it applies. (so x4 45nm, 2.8ghz or more can be considered, even if i can find an old 8xx x4 phenom on the cheap)

I would consider any x4 phenom/Athlon as long as its a better deal clock for clock to these two. A reasonable phenom 95w with c3 stepping would be nice, even at a slight premium to the x4 940, but i really cant go over $140 CAD (we pay 13%tax locally in Ontario). if i could go up to $160$, i would go up to 200$ and get the x6 1055.

any opinions/suggestions/alternatives are encouraged and welcomed

---------------------
current system for reference:

-am3 x2 245 2.9ghz (@3.45)
-m2a 78-em
-2gb DDR@ mushkin 800mhz (dont have timing off hand, but theyre good!)
-500gb hitatchi SATA
-160gb segate IDE (thats getting replaced with a 1tb SATA along with cpu upgrade)
-ati 1950xtx (an oldy but a goodie, and i need it to stick around for the svideo out)
---------------------

Ill follow up if any relevant info is required

Thanks,
Roldy
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2010 8:47:18 AM

The Athlon II X4 630 & Phenom II X4 940 both have normal overclocking 'limits' of around 3.5 GHz. I'd go for the Phenom II X4 personally, mainly because I doubt it'll use that much more power.

Otherwise if you can spend around $145 CAD, the Phenom II X4 945 would be a good choice.

This is the C3 stepping, at $142.99:

This is the C2 stepping, at $147.99, although it does come with a free COD MW2 coupon which you might be able to sell for a few bucks:

Both have a TDP of 95W.
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2010 1:47:18 PM

^+1 for Lmeow
Related resources
June 13, 2010 2:59:16 PM

Lmeow said:
The Athlon II X4 630 & Phenom II X4 940 both have normal overclocking 'limits' of around 3.5 GHz. I'd go for the Phenom II X4 personally, mainly because I doubt it'll use that much more power.

Otherwise if you can spend around $145 CAD, the Phenom II X4 945 would be a good choice.

This is the C3 stepping, at $142.99:

This is the C2 stepping, at $147.99, although it does come with a free COD MW2 coupon which you might be able to sell for a few bucks:

Both have a TDP of 95W.

So then am2+ 940 vs am3 945: can i expect any worthwhile benefit? Be it speed performance, heat, power usage, overclockability between the2? or am i pretty much paying ~20$ more for a newer part and heat sync/fan?

a whole new tempting idea is neweggs x6 1055. 201.99+free shipping. includes a 15$ gift card. if i can afford it, its a no brainer, but almost 2x what i wanted to spend on the 640 in the 1st place. oh amd and your tightly priced mid- high range cpus! (to those trying to give me serious advice @ the 100$-140$ price, disregard the x6!!)
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2010 3:14:28 PM

What's the use for your system?

I was considering myself a quad (Athlon) but I got the AMD Phenom II X2 555 instead and unlocked it but I had the right mobo in order to do that. Even on dual core it's a very fast CPU.

Another great CPU is this one:

http://www.pricebat.ca/AMD-Phenom-II-X3-720-Black-Editi...

In USA it's $104 OEM without heatsink (but you have that).

June 13, 2010 3:43:53 PM

mosox said:
What's the use for your system?

I was considering myself a quad (Athlon) but I got the AMD Phenom II X2 555 instead and unlocked it but I had the right mobo in order to do that. Even on dual core it's a very fast CPU.

Another great CPU is this one:

http://www.pricebat.ca/AMD-Phenom-II-X3-720-Black-Editi...

In USA it's $104 OEM without heatsink (but you have that).

thanks for trying, but since i got my board before all the acc brew-ha-ha, it was not a sought after BIOS function...unfortunately. Thus i dont have the option or i would be encouraging suggestions like that.

I put my boards model# for reference, but i should have been explicit that i cannot unlock cores :pfff: 

that and @~100USD, i would perfer to play it safe and not gamble with my cores. The athlon 630 would be a safer bet (and if its a non-defect/binned 9xx, i could unlock the cache with acc...if not, id still have a quad.). I do want this to be a long term solution chip.

keep the suggestions coming! im finding it hard to find OEMs deals to shave that few bux off. I wish the phenom ii 8xx series was better populated, i think that blank spot is my sweet $pot!! then there could be binned x6's that if i could wait for, would be great (could we see phenom ii x5s in the near future??) food for thought...but not applicable to what im trying to do unless its right round the corner!!
June 14, 2010 6:49:05 PM

So i have a week (im doing this on payday, the 22nd) so i want to be sure what im getting by then.

Another way I could put it is: can someone give me a reason i SHOULD NOT get the am2+ 940? Am i loosing anything other than the 125w vs 95w argument? No DDR3 controller i know...but thats not important on this board.

If not, Im leaning toward the am2+ 940. Most feature laden @the price, no waste on a heat sync i wont be using...just older...AMDs very 1st 45nm silicon if im not mistaken

Is there any reason it would it be worth the money to get a slightly lower clocked am3 9xx for ~20$ more? (ie: would newer stepping and lower TDP= more overclocking headroom, even @ a lower stock clock?) Bear in mind that I prefer to do modest overclocking...usually the highest stable clock i can get @or near stock voltage, with cool&quiet enabled.

Or conversely, is my better bang for my buck to get the 6xx for the same $$ (or less depending on which athlon x4 6xx i get)?

Or can any1 find me some better deal in the $100-$130CAD price range on anything x4 (be it athlon 6xx, or phenom 8xx/9xx)? Im not apposed to buying online, or from another country...even off ebay, as long as i ca trust its BNIB.

roldy

a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 7:37:53 PM

Get the Phenom II X4 940, AMD Athlon II 6XX or the Phenom II X3 720, all of them are better than the 940.

June 14, 2010 7:47:19 PM

mosox said:
Get the Phenom II X4 940, AMD Athlon II 6XX or the Phenom II X3 720, all of them are better than the 940.

Huh? which 940 doesnt belong? 'get the 940.....its better than the 940' ?!? once you straighten that out...may i ask why you suggest that?
June 14, 2010 8:03:42 PM

AMD Phenom II 940 is as far as I'd recommend taking an am2+ platform.so,go for it
June 14, 2010 8:38:04 PM

I picked up the same deal 940 at $118. Great price. It will keep you happy for a couple of years at least. Go for it.
24/7 at 3.5 ghz
Keep in mind the Black Edition. This will help you out when overclocking.
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 9:32:40 PM

Oops, I meant the 945. You can carry the AM3 CPU to your next platform or have a better reselling price. And not all the AM2+ mobos have support for 125W CPUs. But if you're not interested in keeping it for a longer time then you can buy the 940.

June 15, 2010 1:55:23 AM

hemmi said:
I picked up the same deal 940 at $118. Great price. It will keep you happy for a couple of years at least. Go for it.
24/7 at 3.5 ghz
Keep in mind the Black Edition. This will help you out when overclocking.

i know itll differ from chip to chip (maybe cause its the same etailer, itll be the same batch) either way, your my best example of what 2 expect.

So your 3.5 overclock; what voltage did you need to hit that? what cooler you using? what do your temps look like??

It looks like ill pick up this chip tho (unless some miraculous deal pops up as sales turn over come the weekend...starting this ALL OVER AGAIN!! :pt1cable:  )

to every1: thanks for the advice! and should some1 come across a better deal in the next week, please share!

cheers!

roldy
June 16, 2010 3:49:50 AM

Just bought the 940. After shipping problems one finally got to me intact, and I popped it in and it's running HOT. I've read that this is a problem with these. Before you ask, yes I did paste it correctly. I'd be careful with this processor unless you have a good aftermarket cooler.
June 16, 2010 6:08:56 AM

Ashenblue said:
Just bought the 940. After shipping problems one finally got to me intact, and I popped it in and it's running HOT. I've read that this is a problem with these. Before you ask, yes I did paste it correctly. I'd be careful with this processor unless you have a good aftermarket cooler.

i have an adequate cooler(scythe shuriken, Ive kept it virgin as i bought it for whatever new chip i get. cant wait to put on this little demon), im pretty much resigned to getting this chip.

However Ive never dealt with newegg.ca, and i was wondering: did you get dinged for duties @pickup? if so how much? (i am assuming this was off the Canadian site and that your a fellow canuck). either way, please share

Ive been told that they drop ship from the states so if it costs 15bux or more on top, i might as well try one of my other ideas (or pick it up locally from tigerdirect for 149.99)
June 16, 2010 12:15:07 PM

roldy said:
i know itll differ from chip to chip (maybe cause its the same etailer, itll be the same batch) either way, your my best example of what 2 expect.

So your 3.5 overclock; what voltage did you need to hit that? what cooler you using? what do your temps look like??

It looks like ill pick up this chip tho (unless some miraculous deal pops up as sales turn over come the weekend...starting this ALL OVER AGAIN!! :pt1cable:  )

to every1: thanks for the advice! and should some1 come across a better deal in the next week, please share!

cheers!

roldy

For this overclock all I did was bump up the fsb to acheive this because I knew by memory was stable at oc speeds as well.
You could try this too, but if it becomes unstable you could always try just using the multiplier(unlocked) to bump up cpu speed only.
- Stock voltages for everything. Manually set my Dram volatage to stock. Instead of Auto.
- Using Actic Freezer Pro 64 cooler & Arctic Silver 5
- Cant remember exact temp. Over 35 degC. Hotter then i'm use to but no issues so far

Hope that helps.
June 16, 2010 12:22:22 PM

roldy said:
i have an adequate cooler(scythe shuriken, Ive kept it virgin as i bought it for whatever new chip i get. cant wait to put on this little demon), im pretty much resigned to getting this chip.

However Ive never dealt with newegg.ca, and i was wondering: did you get dinged for duties @pickup? if so how much? (i am assuming this was off the Canadian site and that your a fellow canuck). either way, please share

Ive been told that they drop ship from the states so if it costs 15bux or more on top, i might as well try one of my other ideas (or pick it up locally from tigerdirect for 149.99)

If your in Canada and order from Newegg.ca all you pay is the shipping price adverstised. No extra fees ever. Duties, customes or drop.
June 18, 2010 2:18:02 PM

All of this feedback has helped a lot. Im just scouring the net 1 more time for weekend deals...and i found one that puts me back on the fence. I can get the 640 for $120 with a dealers discount. Its local, retail and not oem. (vs 118.99+5$ s&h for the phenom)

What im being indecisive about (THIS TIME) between the two is the true performance difference with the L3cache vs lower tdp, and the newer c3 silicon.

The athlon ii x4 640 is 95w, c3 stepping part, and is the same speed@3ghz. So it may yield a higher "stock voltage" overclock vs this 125w phenom x4. if i can get them both to the same ocd speed, the phenom is the clear winner, but if the athlon will beat it by even ~200mhz, it should win clock for clock.

Am i wrong in my assumption that ill have more headroom with the athlon, and thatll yield better performance (or less heat @equal performance?)

I still dont hit payday till tuesday, or else i woulda done something by now! But if someone can verify my theory, or prove me wrong, itll push me in one direction or the other.

I still need that push...
cheers!
June 18, 2010 2:36:09 PM

940:
- BE, easier to overclock
- better performance

640:
- better upgrade path down the road
- better tdp
- very adequate performance

I tend to upgrade for 'right now' so 940 wins for me.
But an AM3 socket cpu will be more future proof.
Both more then adequate processors. Your call...
!