Fake temperatures?

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hello ,

I OCed my Q9550 to 3.2Ghz ...
then tested the pc with prime95 for 18 hours and had no errors...
But about the temperatures ...
with HWmonitor i get around 62-67 at full load ... but when ever i push my cpu to work hard , i turn off my pc instantly to jump to my bios and check the temperature ... i see its 39-42 while the HWmonitor was standing on 65-67...
Could the 10-15Sec drop the temperatures about 25C degrees?

While i see the 49-55C with Easytune @Full load, which is produced specialy for my Mobo , EP45-UD3P ...

is it possible to get 25+C between Fullload and Noneload ?
and which to belive the HWmonitor / Easytune / Real

Thats realy complicated of which to belive , if its warm or not ...

any suggestions ?

acer0169

Distinguished
Get a copy of Everest Ultimate - it's an amazing piece of kit.

Also, at full load I hit around 50C but if I quickly restart by the time I'm looking at bios (like 5-10 seconds?) I'm at idle temps of 35C again. Good coolers lose heat very fast.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Okey ,
I will check that Program when i come back home ..
also will try to use 5 programs to monitor the temps ... will be more sure ..
Thanks

First off never use motherboard utilities that come with your motherboard. They are notoriously inaccurate. That goes for MSI, GigaByte, ASUS, whoever. Use a thirdparty utitlity, not only because they are typically more trustworthy, but because it gives you something to compare with what other people are seeing. I have had excellent success with CoreTemp, RealTemp, and presently using Everest Ultimate. The first two are free, the last you have to buy to continue using.

First off, your temperatures can drop quite drastically when load is removed from the CPU. Especially if you have a good aftermarket cooler which I assume you have since you are overclocking. Just to test it watch from in Windows using HWMonitor, RealTemp, CoreTemp, etc, run Prime95 or OCCT or something like that to load your CPU, once the temperature has leveled off, kill the process and time how long it takes for the CPU to drop 20 degrees. I think you might be surprised.

Also I would think you are underestimating the time needed to restart your computer and get into the BIOS. Unless you are using an SSD, I doubt very much you are able to get into your BIOS in 10 - 15 seconds from a restart.

Also (and maybe I'm wrong) I assume when you are using HWMonitor, you are reading the core temperatures (4 of them), but when you are looking at the BIOS you are looking at the thermal diode. These values will read very differently, the diode typically reads lower (in some cases significantly) than the core temp sensors.

Hope that helps.