Sign in with
Your question

GPU Performance Concern Help needed

Last response: in Overclocking
February 18, 2013 11:40:41 PM

Up until two days ago my system was working perfectly.

Here are my system components:

CPU: I5-3570k overclocked 4.2Ghz
CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i
Motherboard: Gigabyte UP4 TH
RAM Corsair 8GB 1600
SSD Samsung 128GB 830
HDD WD Caviar Blue 1TB

SLI Gigabyte GTX 670 OC windforce 3

PSU: Corsair HX 750w

Until 2 days ago I've had been using EVGA Precision X to overclock both cards at +80Mhz on the core clock and +300Mhz on the memory clock. This resulted in the cards running at boost 1241Mhz. Now the cards are throttling down and acting as if there is no overclock on them staying at 980Mhz stock clocks or even going lower during benchmarking in Heaven, and or even in benchmarks such as Hitman Absolution or while in game play within BF3. The cards have only once ever reached as high as 75c once and never again have they been over 65c.
My first thought was drivers so I've uninstalled, reinstalled, repeatedly. Tested out MSI Afterburner and Precision X with same results. I'm at a loss and think it might be something extremely simple I'm overlooking.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2013 11:41:24 AM

If you lower the overclock, does that help? I know my CrossFire setup can be a little weird about that. Both of my cards overclock to 1175 / 1450 individually, from 1000 / 1100, but won't always accept those high clocks in CrossFire. It's like it works one minute but not the next.

Other than that, I would make sure the voltage and power allowance are set high enough to keep the cards going.
February 19, 2013 12:45:29 PM

jrgray93 said:
If you lower the overclock, does that help? I know my CrossFire setup can be a little weird about that. Both of my cards overclock to 1175 / 1450 individually, from 1000 / 1100, but won't always accept those high clocks in CrossFire. It's like it works one minute but not the next.

Other than that, I would make sure the voltage and power allowance are set high enough to keep the cards going.

Well the thing is I tested these cards a lot and they ran this way perfectly for ever I reached my safest stable max overclock and then dropped it by 20Mhz to make sure.
When I installed the h100i, I also updated to the newest drivers and also did another benchmark of my SLI Because I had taken one of the cards out for a while and just put it back in. I benched them in Furmark. What ended up happening is the combined of the following - Furmark throttled my cards because they hit 70c. the h100i software was interacting with my cards causing them to not throttle or adjust performance correctly and the new drivers were causing windows 8 to crash repeatedly.

I moved around the voltage slider to max out their voltage during a test and they seemed to steady down a little. I set the power to %110 during this and they settled a little more. I put everything back to default and the cards started running like normal but only in Heaven Unigine. I rebooted the system and re ran the programs with the h100i turned off and it seems that they are working about %90 normally now. In BF3 They are still not running %100 like they have or should be but atleast they aren't locking their core clock at 324Mhz and throttling themselves anymore.
Related resources
February 19, 2013 2:34:33 PM

Update - I had it some what stable, not %100 fixed until this morning when I decided to lower the OC on one of the cards and keep the other the same and now its back to throttling without going over 55c unless I turn the cards back to vanilla...
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2013 7:02:41 PM

You're clocking the cards at different speeds? I don't think that is a good idea. I'm pretty sure keeping them identical is the way to go.
February 19, 2013 11:11:06 PM

jrgray93 said:
You're clocking the cards at different speeds? I don't think that is a good idea. I'm pretty sure keeping them identical is the way to go.

Even if that did make any difference, which it doesn't, the cards work perfect when sli is disabled and throttle usage and power even at stock clocks when sli is enabled
!