Annyone getting this movement wierdness in T:DS?

Often when I try to mantle a chest (to see what might be on top of a nearby
bed or wardrobe) I will not be able to crouch or jump afterwards and the
movement is like I am skating. I need to restart the game to correct it.
Anything I can do without having to restart? (aside from not mantling chests
in the first place)

Is it just me or are large crates very difficult to push? Initially I though
they didn't move at all, but then I remembered I got stuck between 2. Took
me ages to get the one in the first mission to move just so I could complete
the mission (expert level).

Have also found a hole in the map though which I fell ;-)

All this on the first mission

Cheers
8 answers Last reply
More about annyone movement wierdness
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "wazza" <wazzw@mindyerown.biz> kirjoitti
    viestissä:41d3dddd$0$11303$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
    > Often when I try to mantle a chest (to see what might be on top of a
    > nearby bed or wardrobe) I will not be able to crouch or jump afterwards
    > and the movement is like I am skating. I need to restart the game to
    > correct it.
    > Anything I can do without having to restart? (aside from not mantling
    > chests in the first place)

    The 'skating' effect is a known bug. It happened to me several times on
    different occasions, and I don't think I found any other way out of it than
    reloading. Very annoying.

    > Is it just me or are large crates very difficult to push? Initially I
    > though they didn't move at all, but then I remembered I got stuck between
    > 2. Took me ages to get the one in the first mission to move just so I
    > could complete the mission (expert level).

    Hmm. I had no problems moving crates in TDS. You just have to keep
    pushing, and they'll start to move. They don't move immediately. You have
    to continually exert power at them, so don't try to push them with short
    bumps (like trying to exert more power at them by stepping back and then
    running at them, and repeating this -- it's ineffective), just push them,
    and keep on pushing. You can almost topple statues over this way. I don't
    think I actually made any statues fall down, but they certainly rocked when
    I pushed them.

    > Have also found a hole in the map though which I fell ;-)

    Yup. Those can also be found ;)

    - Mika L
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote
    in message news:cr0sqe$pcn$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...

    <snip>
    > Hmm. I had no problems moving crates in TDS. You just have to keep
    > pushing, and they'll start to move. They don't move immediately. You
    > have to continually exert power at them, so don't try to push them with
    > short bumps (like trying to exert more power at them by stepping back and
    > then running at them, and repeating this -- it's ineffective), just push
    > them, and keep on pushing. You can almost topple statues over this way.
    > I don't think I actually made any statues fall down, but they certainly
    > rocked when I pushed them.

    Were you walking or running while pushing?
    Even chairs don't seem to move that easily.
    I tend to be either running or crouch walking most of the time.

    I thought they had the crate pushing about right in Deus Ex.

    I'll have to do some experimenting, but initially I did try just about every
    angle and walk mode to move the first crate

    Cheers
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:37:24 +0200 Mika Latokartano said :

    >running at them, and repeating this -- it's ineffective), just push them,
    >and keep on pushing. You can almost topple statues over this way. I don't
    >think I actually made any statues fall down, but they certainly rocked when
    >I pushed them.

    I found the statues outside the Cradle worked fair at times to move.

    If you get bored and want to abuse the mines. Load a bunch at the base
    of one and stnad way back. Once time I saw the mines blow from a
    distance and when I went back I could not locate the statue. HA !

    Interesting how you cant samage any statues early in the game no matter
    how many mines you set off at its base....(normal level version 1.1 US)

    Geneve

    --
    "If confused why this or that is going on."
    "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

    "Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:cr9lqt0rol@drn.newsguy.com...
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 11:58:17 +0800 wazza said :
    <snip>>
    > Have you ever tried to move a statue?

    Accidentally moved one (made a scraping noise at least) when trying to hide
    from a guard (which caught his attention).

    > Another oddity. Ever listen (normal level) when the Hammers are pissed
    > off and they start calling any one Garret and if something goes arry
    > they tend to want to kill Garret even though allied ?
    > (Faction status shows Full)

    Am only in the early stages yet - have done the St Edgars, and have just
    started the Pagan tunnels, so no Faction status for me yet.

    I do like the ability to roam between the mission. Gives one the opportunity
    to go on a murderous rampage occasionally without failing anything ;-)

    I don't really like being forced to be a mugger, by not being able to pick
    goods from pedestrians and having to resort to threatening/blackjacking
    them.

    Having said that I find it a bit difficult to really get into the game. Have
    been playing on expert and haven't found it that difficult (a few knockouts,
    but no kills), with the exception of finding the last of the special loot
    items, but by that stage I can't be bothered searching the entire map again.
    Once I find out where the last special loot item is it brings me up to 100%
    loot.

    Cheers.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:32:31 +0800 wazza said :

    >I do like the ability to roam between the mission. Gives one the opportunity
    >to go on a murderous rampage occasionally without failing anything ;-)

    Yes I can get in to that. I find the noise arrows interesting. In some
    levels you can drive the City Watch guards like cattle in to the direction
    desired. Kind of funny watching them run in pack mode.

    >I don't really like being forced to be a mugger, by not being able to pick
    >goods from pedestrians and having to resort to threatening/blackjacking
    >them.

    Yeah I am not real thrilled by being forced in to one mode or the other.

    Though some folks would tell Me I am not a real gamer if I can't live with
    in the contraints. Thied is supposed to be sneaky yada yada and you are
    supposed to have to kill or kock any one out unless the mission requires it
    and what have you.

    >Having said that I find it a bit difficult to really get into the game.

    Some of the Hammer saying a really funny to listen to.... Some of it
    really cracks Me up.... Sounds like "some" of the religious folks in the
    real world here and there. HA !

    The Zelots area of religion if you get the idea....

    >Have
    >been playing on expert

    Typically I play in Normal level....

    >with the exception of finding the last of the special loot

    It's having to locate all the special loot that got me annoyed.

    Some special loot in my mind should not be placed so oddly.

    Geneve

    --
    "If confused why this or that is going on."
    "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:crbvv6026aa@drn.newsguy.com...
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:32:31 +0800 wazza said :
    >>
    >>I do like the ability to roam between the mission. Gives one the
    >>opportunity
    >>to go on a murderous rampage occasionally without failing anything ;-)
    >
    > Yes I can get in to that. I find the noise arrows interesting. In some
    > levels you can drive the City Watch guards like cattle in to the direction
    > desired. Kind of funny watching them run in pack mode.

    I usually reload after said ramage ;-)

    >>I don't really like being forced to be a mugger, by not being able to pick
    >>goods from pedestrians and having to resort to threatening/blackjacking
    >>them.
    >
    > Yeah I am not real thrilled by being forced in to one mode or the other.
    >

    > Though some folks would tell Me I am not a real gamer if I can't live with
    > in the contraints. Thied is supposed to be sneaky yada yada and you are
    > supposed to have to kill or kock any one out unless the mission requires
    > it
    > and what have you.

    I can't see why they couldn't allow both modes, but as you say Thief is
    about being smart in your crimes not brutal and not giving one the option to
    pick pocket everything seems to be a backward step.

    >>Having said that I find it a bit difficult to really get into the game.
    >
    > Some of the Hammer saying a really funny to listen to.... Some of it
    > really cracks Me up.... Sounds like "some" of the religious folks in the
    > real world here and there. HA !
    >
    > The Zelots area of religion if you get the idea....

    I have been watching repeats of the Brit Sci-fi series Dr Who, and some of
    the rhetoric about terrorism in some of the episodes is hilarious because it
    is so close to home, lol.

    >>Have
    >>been playing on expert
    >
    > Typically I play in Normal level....

    Maybe it's just me but I find most games too easy on normal and usually play
    on Hard or hardest level first time through. I tend to lose interest once I
    have played the game through, (not always though)

    > It's having to locate all the special loot that got me annoyed.
    >
    > Some special loot in my mind should not be placed so oddly.

    Well it wouldn't be special otherwise would it! :-)

    Cheers...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:24:03 +0800 wazza said :

    >> It's having to locate all the special loot that got me annoyed.
    >>
    >> Some special loot in my mind should not be placed so oddly.
    >
    >Well it wouldn't be special otherwise would it! :-)
    >
    >Cheers...

    The Hammer Gear loot in the clock tower I could see as special loot.

    Like almost if there was a tour and a sign post with a dedication
    would have been more what I would expect but maybe that is local
    society conditioning ?

    One thing I found myself wishing for was some kind of a step towards
    interactive mode.

    For instance when you are in full faction mode. Sometimes it would have
    been nice to talk to the hammers or pagans.

    Like maybe in Old Quarter when some enemy or the City Watch killed one
    of their men that was one of them and not Garret.

    Or perhaps some others besides cut-scenes.

    I also find myself wishing I could do two things.

    1) Return that pagan wand
    2) give the wand to the hammers

    Later in the gameplay I now wish they had that wand so that
    when you meet the major baddy you could see if the pagans
    are more powerful kind of idea.

    I side comment here...

    The Arrows : Gas, Water, Moss and Fire

    When they mention that day by day you can shoot them in to the
    Pagans thingy to make the arrows more powerful if I can say it this
    way.

    It sure would have been nice for that to have been clearly stated
    so when the day by day would go by a person would try and get those
    arrows updated so to speak.

    Right now I am having some targeting problems.

    In real life when you are near a wall or an object and you see your
    arrow path clear of a wall etc. It flies past.

    Well not in T:DS. If the game thinks you are too close then the arrows
    get stuck in mid air at times or in the case of noise arrows here and there
    they will simply band to the ground at Garrets feet telling everyone
    where He is.

    I remember editing some ini file for the dificulty. Maybe thats why they act
    that way? I dunno....

    Geneve

    --
    "If confused why this or that is going on."
    "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:cre0p702c95@drn.newsguy.com...
    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:24:03 +0800 wazza said :
    >
    > The Hammer Gear loot in the clock tower I could see as special loot.

    I think the special loot thing was just a mechanism to add difficulty for
    harder modes.
    I was quite happy with the bonus objectives in T:MA.
    You need to collect virtually everything anyway to get past 90% on expert,
    so it does seem redundant.

    > One thing I found myself wishing for was some kind of a step towards
    > interactive mode.
    >
    > For instance when you are in full faction mode. Sometimes it would have
    > been nice to talk to the hammers or pagans.

    I'm not overly impressed with the AI. I stood in the recess where the
    elevator platforms rest on the ground floor (on missions with elevators) and
    I was out of reach of the AI. Same with standing behind the bar at the
    tavern.

    > Like maybe in Old Quarter when some enemy or the City Watch killed one
    > of their men that was one of them and not Garret.

    I had a funny incident where someone was dead in the street (Hammer I
    think), and I was picking a lock. I heard one of the Hammers accuse a
    pedestrian of killing the guy (I assume because he was near the body, so
    they started fighting and the Hammer lost.
    As the guy was skulking up the street looking for me he said something like
    "Yeah, I showed him, funny thing is, I didn't kill that guy"

    > I also find myself wishing I could do two things.
    >
    > 1) Return that pagan wand
    > 2) give the wand to the hammers

    Yes, why allow Garrett to pick something he knows he can't use? I suppose it
    is a way of disarming them, and a throwable object.

    > I side comment here...
    >
    > The Arrows : Gas, Water, Moss and Fire
    >
    > When they mention that day by day you can shoot them in to the
    > Pagans thingy to make the arrows more powerful if I can say it this
    > way.
    >
    > It sure would have been nice for that to have been clearly stated
    > so when the day by day would go by a person would try and get those
    > arrows updated so to speak.

    I must have read it wrong. I thought shooting the cocoons helped the Pagans
    but didn't do anything to the arrows

    > Right now I am having some targeting problems.
    >
    > In real life when you are near a wall or an object and you see your
    > arrow path clear of a wall etc. It flies past.
    >
    > Well not in T:DS. If the game thinks you are too close then the arrows
    > get stuck in mid air at times or in the case of noise arrows here and
    > there
    > they will simply band to the ground at Garrets feet telling everyone
    > where He is.

    I know it happens, but I just allow for it.
    The thing I don't like is the lean function. A lot of times when I lean
    while standing on a ledge I start to slide off.

    > I remember editing some ini file for the dificulty. Maybe thats why they
    > act
    > that way? I dunno....
    >
    > Geneve
    >

    > --
    > "If confused why this or that is going on."
    > "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

Games Video Games