10D and 580EX flash question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 4, 2004 4:22:52 AM

Greetings,

Now that I have read through the manuals and played all night with the
10D and 580EX flash combo in ETTL mode I think I am getting the hang of
it, but one item in the manual (so far) has me puzzled....

The manual for the 580EX shows an icon on the display (rectangular
shaped, on the right side of the display) that indicates 'auto zoom for
image size'.

I have not seen this icon light up with the 10D 580EX combo -- am I
missing something?

I have been using a zoom lens and the flash does recognize the changing
focal lengths -- is this 'auto zoom for image size' function something else?

(Page 21 of the 580Ex manual describes the icon I am asking about)

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
December 4, 2004 1:27:28 PM

"steve" <doesnotexist@bitbucket.invalid> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>

> I have not seen this icon light up with the 10D 580EX combo -- am I
> missing something?

This feature only works with the 20D, 1D MK-II and 1Ds MK-II.

Kenny
December 4, 2004 1:27:29 PM

Thanks for the input --

Can you explain what exactly it does (with a compatible camera)?

Steve

Kenny wrote:
> "steve" <doesnotexist@bitbucket.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Greetings,
>>

>>I have not seen this icon light up with the 10D 580EX combo -- am I
>>missing something?
>>

> This feature only works with the 20D, 1D MK-II and 1Ds MK-II.
>
> Kenny

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 1:27:30 PM

> Thanks for the input --
>
> Can you explain what exactly it does (with a compatible camera)?
>
> Steve

The flash element within the flash head of the 580EX moves forward or back
in relation to the flash lens. This has the effect of spreading the light
widely for wide angle, and more centrally directed light for tele.

The 550 DOES do this with the 10D, though it's not corrected for the
cropping factor (1.6x) of the 10D.
!