Your question
Closed

Windows errors

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 24, 2011 12:47:45 AM

so I finally got my new build up and running with windows 7 professional 64bit

One of the main problems ive been having are these errors coming up in my windows event viewer
most consistently it has been this error: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1."

I have no idea what exactly is causing this
my motherboard is a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, cpu is a intel i7 2600k,
harddrive is a 1TB WD caviar black, gpu is a radeon hd 6950, ram is 8gb corsair vengence lp,
and the psu is a corsair TX750m.

any suggestions on what i could do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

More about : windows errors

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2011 1:41:32 AM

Well your Motherboard does not have a IDE header so I have to guess that your SATA controler is set to IDE mode. I would be thinking of swapping SATA headers but I would first download "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" from the WD website and running diagnostic programs and checking your SMART report. Then I would be monitering your voltages (speedfan).
October 24, 2011 12:00:08 PM

anonymous1 said:
Well your Motherboard does not have a IDE header so I have to guess that your SATA controler is set to IDE mode. I would be thinking of swapping SATA headers but I would first download "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" from the WD website and running diagnostic programs and checking your SMART report. Then I would be monitering your voltages (speedfan).

Ok, so i donwloaded that and ran a quick test on my harddrive and got this error in the first 8 seconds "06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!"

Does this mean my hdd failed or that maybe it has to do with my motherboard recognizing it as an IDE?

Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2011 6:52:37 PM

1) It looks like your Hard drive is starting to fail. I would Swap the SATA data cable to it ,or reseat it and rerun the test again, if it fails again I would be looking to backup my data and RMAing the drive.

2) I would check your BIOS to see if your SATA controler is set to IDE Mode. You may want to change that if you will be loading windows again.
Score
October 25, 2011 1:40:42 AM

anonymous1 said:
1) It looks like your Hard drive is starting to fail. I would Swap the SATA data cable to it ,or reseat it and rerun the test again, if it fails again I would be looking to backup my data and RMAing the drive.

2) I would check your BIOS to see if your SATA controler is set to IDE Mode. You may want to change that if you will be loading windows again.

I just replaced the harddrive. Figured it was a lost cause because it was brand new and running terribly. learned my lesson on ordering harddrives online. Really appreciate this though man i had no idea about that Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. Saved me from wasting anymore of my time.
Score
October 25, 2011 1:41:26 AM

Best answer selected by Daioh.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 3:23:17 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!