Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard recognizes only half of RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
December 10, 2010 1:47:58 AM

I have an older system. The motherboard is an ECS P4M800Pro-M2 with a Core2 Duo E6600 installed. The motherboard can use either DDR or DDR2 memory. I've been using 2 512MB DDR sticks of RAM, but I recently was given 2 1GB DDR2 sticks of memory and took the opportunity to upgrade. The problem is that when I put in the new memory, the BIOS only recognized 1GB of RAM, not 2GB as it should have. Thinking that maybe one of the modules wasn't seated properly or was defective, I removed one and rebooted. This time, it only recognized 512MB, so it seems they were both seated properly.

The new memory is labeled as Hynix 1GB modules. The part number is HYMP112U64CP8-S6, which the Hynix website lists as having 1GB capacity.

There is a BIOS update available, but the description of the update says nothing to make me think it may fix the problem.

Any idea why my computer only recognizes half of it?
December 10, 2010 11:23:04 AM

Here's a little more information.

CPUZ identifies the modules properly and says they are 1GB modules and that there is 2GB total memory. However, both Windows and Linux only see 1GB. In case it wasn't clear in the first post, the BIOS only sees 1GB during POST.
m
l
!