Sign in with
Your question

Powers up but nothing else

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2010 5:55:01 PM

Hi guys.

I have a custom built PC which is about 18 months old. Everything has been going great until today when i tried to boot it up.

Normally when it powers up, the GFX card fan spins real fast for between 5 and 10 seconds before it calms down. Then everything runs fine and we're away.

However today, powered the system up, and the GFX card fan doesn't calm down, and nothing happens. Nothing comes up on the monitor, and I have noticed that the DVD drives act as if they are trying to constantly read a disk, although there is nothing in them.

Now I've tried switching the RAM around into different slots to no effect. Tried different monitors, no different. But when I removed the GFX card and tried to boot it up, the DVD drives acted normally and it sounded as though the HDD was going fine. Unfortunately though, I don't have a spare GFX card or onboard GFX to see if I get any visual output.

I know it sounds like the GFX card is b0rked, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Could it be the power supply?

Specs: 8800GT 512MB
2GB RAM DDR2
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
550W Power Supply.

More about : powers

a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2010 12:25:48 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Can you test the GPU in another rig?
April 4, 2010 8:52:19 AM

Unfortunately not. Its the only PC in the household, and everyone else I know have standard computers so the card won't fit.
Related resources
April 4, 2010 10:15:06 AM

Have you put anything new inside?
!