Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noob Question - DOA unit

Last response: in Components
June 13, 2010 2:10:19 PM

Looks like I purchased a DOA powersupply from Microcenter, but before jumping to conclusions I want to confirm my assumptions.

I'm building out a new system and I picked up an antec earthwatts 650 from microcenter.

I put the power supply in the empty case, attached a molex to a fan that's part of the case and nothing. In fact the powersupply fan was not spinning and nothing was working. My question is because there's no load going to the main leads, will the molex connectors still have power? I know a noob question. I tried both fans to no avail (I did make sure I turned the switch of the fans on, to low/med/hi just in case.)

Second question, if anyone has purchased from microcenter, can I return the unit instead of exchange it. I know you cannot return cpus/motherboards but does that policy extend to powersupplies? Given the tight contraints I may want a modular SeaSonic X650 Gold if i can do an outright return

Thanks for any insight/advice.

More about : noob question doa unit

Best solution

a c 77 ) Power supply
June 13, 2010 2:24:47 PM

First... Your PSU is fine. It won't power any components until it receives a single from the motherboard. You can use the paper clip method to test the PSU. You put on end of a paper clip in the green wire pin and the other end in the black wire pin, which will kick it on (Google this for more details, if needed).

Second... If within the first 30 days you can return and pick up the SeaSonic by just paying the extra cost (basically an exchange). Just say that it won't fit properly in your case or something along those lines.

The sooner you do it, the easier it is. I've never had an isssue with returns from Microcenter.
June 13, 2010 2:29:36 PM

I would advise you either have a good look at thier return policy on stuff or just get the number off thier site and call tech support...

It's not unheard of to have a DOA PSU and that's what it sounds like in this case

As to what your options are concerning exchange/return, it also usually depenends on how many days you have had that item for (for example, under Distance Selling Regulations, you can return an item for a refund -IIRC- if it is withing SEVEN days of purchase)

Sorry i couldn't be of more help
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2010 10:15:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll get the motherboard installed tonight and then try the PSU one more time. I called microcenter, and I have 30 days to return it, if need be. They don't carry the SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W, so I may still just return that puppy and order it from newegg.
m
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
June 13, 2010 11:35:48 PM

The switch on the back of the PSU will NOT make it turn on. Those are AT PSUs while this is an ATX PSU. It won't provide power like your thinking of until it receives the signal from the mobo like tecmo said. You can either install it and push the button, or use a paperclip to jumper the switch. I personally would use something higher draw then a fan, perhaps an old drive or two. <2W isn't much for a 650W PSU.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2010 3:10:11 AM

if ur psu isnt connected to the motherboard even if the rear witch is on and u have anything connected it still wont turn on
m
l
June 21, 2010 12:27:19 AM

Best answer selected by maflynn.
m
l
!