Any Way To OC with G31

myowaiwin

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
hello genius,

plz help me how to OC my CPU using G31 mother board.
i can't find any option in my bios.
so is there any utility in window?

thanks in advance

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I have the asus p5k-pl am epu. It will not overclock significantly. There is asus turbo boost but it depends which CPU you have. Mine will automaticaly clock down when the CPU hits 50-55C. I use a Q9550.

Not exactly true. One of my systems:
GA-G41M-ES2L | E6500 OC'd to 3.66 GHz (333 MHz X 11) | my old ACF7P cooler

Much depends on the choice of the processor. The G31/G41 is an economy chipset with an upper FSB frequency of generally less than 360 - 370 MHz. That means a CPU with a 333 MHz FSB freq will not be able to acheive a significant overclock. A CPU with a relatively low FSB freq and high internal multiplier (the E5200 family, for instance) can do quite well.

My particular G41 will boot at 360 MHz, but it is not stable (24 hrs Prime95) much over 350 MHz. Because it is an office style PC, I just stopped at 333 MHz.

The IGP is not the problem and the presence of a discrete video card makes no difference.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I got it(turbo boost) working with mine but I didn't use it. I adjusted the FSB setting manually (including setting the RAM speed to auto). It won't stay at a good speed when it gets hotter. The power supply to the CPU gets limited somehow by the board. I can get the Q9950 (E0) to run @ 3.4 GHz but CPU multiplier is lowered when the CPU and MOBO heat up. For my CPU, normally around 55C but when I lower the FSB, It lets it get a little hotter.

myowaiwin

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
E2200
i don't know how to sharch the bios version

but i can oc now in bios.
it's located in "jumper free config"
so what's that mean?

and i OC 15% up my pc.
i have no software to test my stability.
and my max temp is around 65 C
will it hurt my cpu lifespam or functionality.

thanks

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
The CPU will should only get damaged if it run out of spec (such as temp going over 73.3 or more that 1.5V) get damaged. A general rule is don't overclock anything you cannot afford to lose.
There is a guide available on Tom's here
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

The main issue you have is that you cannot control Vcore (the voltage to the CPU)on those motherboards. The Temp Limit for the E2200 I believe is 73C and 1.5 V.

To provide a stress test to see how hot it gets try IntelBurnTest (IBT)
http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v2.3-download-2047.html

use a temp monitor such as core temp
www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Run Coretemp and follow with IBT. Watch the temps closely. If the core temps reach 68C turn off IBT. If the temps never hit 70'c you are good to go. If the CPU slows down repeatadly at a certain temp, its the board.

TRy to make sure that in Coretemp, the VID never goes above 1.5. That might damage the CPU.

Downluad and run cpu-z. It will identify your motherboard, andit's bios version.

To test stability, download and run prime95. Pick the option for rounding checking. Run it long enough for the cpu temperature to reach it's maximum and stabilize.
You should get NO rounding errors if your OC is stable.

If your cpu exceeds it's maximum safe temperature, it will downclock itself for protection. You are safe enough if you do not increase the voltage to the cpu.
While stress testing, check cpu-z to verify that the cpu has not reduced the multiplier due to the oc.

The cpu lifespan will be reduced. But for a safe overclock, the cpu will be obsolete long before the OC hurts it. 10 years???

Lastly, how much of an OC do you really need? Most of the time, other factors are impacting your performance more.