Sign in with
Your question

How do I connect workstation to Win 2003 server?

Last response: in Networking
August 25, 2004 7:44:20 PM

Greetings:

My company just upgrade their server from Novell to MS 2003 Server. My workstation has Tripple boot OS Win98SE, Win2K Prof sp3, and XP Prof sp1. The Win98SE has been updated, connected, and able to print on the new server. However, my Win2K Prof. and XP is still on the old Novell server. I would like to update the network connection on 2K & XP myself (the IT guy come next week and I can't afford waiting for him. Otherwise my work will stackup and I will certainly behind my scheduleJ) but I don't know how since Win98SE network settings are completely different than Win2K and XP. Is there any easy guide for network dummies with screen shot to perform this settings by oneself?

I currently have "Novell Client for Windows" and "Client for Microsoft Networks on Win2K and XP , NWLink NetBios, NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios, TCP/IP under "Local Area Connection" properties. How do I go from here to get recognize and connect to Windows 2003 Server? Where should I start and what do I need to do? Will all the information (IP address, DNS, Gateway, WINS, Network pwd etc) I can gather from Win98SE help?

Your advice and feedback is greatly appreciated.

More about : connect workstation win 2003 server

August 26, 2004 10:38:08 AM

what do you want to get to on the W2K3 server? A file share?

If so, you have to know a username and password on that machine, presumably thats what the W98 machine is using.

So, to map a drive just go to a DOS prompt and type the following:

C:\>NET USE * \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\sharename /u:USERNAME PASSWORD

Of course, substitute the proper information in for the IP address, sharename, USERNAME and PASSWORD.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
August 26, 2004 5:24:33 PM

Thank you, jlanka, for your help.

The Win98 access to the server has been already taking care of. I am able to write, retrieve data from Win98 Explorer. However, I would like to do the same for Win2K and XP e.g being able to see, access, retrieve and store data on the share drive and folder using Win2K and XP explorer.
Related resources
August 27, 2004 5:55:20 AM

so, did you try the NET USE command that I outline in my previous post? Thats how you can get to it from NT/2K/XP

After you do that command you'll have a new drive letter mapped to whatever share you're trying to access.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 27, 2004 3:36:25 PM

jlanka,

No, I haven't try your solution yet since I don't know what the sharename is. Is there a way to find out what the sharename is either under Win98SE or XP? Could you give me a sample of how a sharename looks like? Anyway, I find another way using:

my computer - properties - Network Identification tab - Network Id - Just follow the Network Id wizard - Checked the option "This computer is part of ... use to connect to other computer at work" - Next - Checked Network with Domain - Next - Next - Input Username, PWD, Domain (Since I have different Username & PWD for my workstation & server, I try both and have the same result).

Unfortunately, this seems to work only for XP and not for Win2K. Effectively, I follow the same procedure as I did for XP and I receive a message "Your computer was joined to the domain using your computer's old name because the following error has occured: Another computer in the domain is already using the specify new computer name". I try to use another computer name and still no luck. I must miss something.
August 28, 2004 5:37:08 AM

OK, you're giving new information. You never said there was a domain.

When you say "I try to use a new computer name", you can't just specifiy it. You have to actually rename your computer.

Anyway, you can still use the "net use" command like I said, just change it to this:

C:\>NET USE * \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\sharename /u:D OMAIN\USERNAME PASSWORD

To find the share names on the 2K3 server, from your XP machine (once you've authenticated yourself on the 2K3 server) type:

C:\>NEW VIEW \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

of course substitute the IP address of the 2K3 server. That will show you a list of all shares (both file and printer) on the 2K3 server.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 30, 2004 5:40:38 PM

jlanka:

Thanks for the additional information.

I follow your instruction but for some reason it didn't work. Here is what I did:

1. After logon to XP - All Program - Accessories - Command promt - At the E:\ prompt - Type in NEW VIEW \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (for instance 192.186.3.152) - I receive this message ""NEW" IS NOT RECOGNIZED AS AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL COMMAND, OPERABLE PROGRAM OR BATCH FILE."

2. Start Win98 - Press F8 - Choose "Start in Dos" option - At C:\ Promt - Type in NEW VIEW \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - I receive this message "Bad command or filename".

Am I missing something?
August 30, 2004 5:45:09 PM

I made a typo. It's NET VIEW.

Sorry about that.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
!