Need opinions of Panasonic cameras

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 5, 2004 2:39:34 AM

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43 and have used it for several months and
have had no problems at all and I am very happy with the definition of the
photos and the operation of the camera in general.
But...I don't like not havng any manual control of aperture/shutter speed
and I would prefer a greater zoom than 3X. I am looking at a DMC-FZ10 or 15,
or maybe a FZ20, and hoping that the prices will fall next year!
Has anyone had experience with any of these cameras. I would like their
opinions.
Thanks.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 2:39:35 AM

Nick Withers wrote:
> I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43 and have used it for several months
> and have had no problems at all and I am very happy with the
> definition of the photos and the operation of the camera in general.
> But...I don't like not havng any manual control of aperture/shutter
> speed and I would prefer a greater zoom than 3X. I am looking at a
> DMC-FZ10 or 15, or maybe a FZ20, and hoping that the prices will fall
> next year!
> Has anyone had experience with any of these cameras. I would like
> their opinions.

Been pleased with the FZ20 so far - the greatest drawback is not having a
swivel LCD.

Cheers,
David
December 5, 2004 2:39:35 AM

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:39:34 +1300, Nick Withers wrote:

> I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43 and have used it for several months and
> have had no problems at all and I am very happy with the definition of the
> photos and the operation of the camera in general.
> But...I don't like not havng any manual control of aperture/shutter speed
> and I would prefer a greater zoom than 3X. I am looking at a DMC-FZ10 or 15,
> or maybe a FZ20, and hoping that the prices will fall next year!
> Has anyone had experience with any of these cameras. I would like their
> opinions.
> Thanks.

You can find my detailed review of the FZ10 (with comments on the FZ15/20)
here:

http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic/?s=ng

Hope this helps.
December 5, 2004 2:39:35 AM

Nick Withers wrote:
> I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43 and have used it for several months and
> have had no problems at all and I am very happy with the definition of the
> photos and the operation of the camera in general.
> But...I don't like not havng any manual control of aperture/shutter speed
> and I would prefer a greater zoom than 3X. I am looking at a DMC-FZ10 or 15,
> or maybe a FZ20, and hoping that the prices will fall next year!
> Has anyone had experience with any of these cameras. I would like their
> opinions.
> Thanks.

I recently bought a FZ20 and after a couple of weeks, I'm very happy
with it. The camera has great image quality and a fabulous lens. It
handles very well and the menus are logically laid out.

My main issues are the low quality EVF and the relatively high noise at
iso 200 and up. However for this price It's more than acceptable. The
EVF Isn't that bad. It's just hard to Manually focus sometimes (even
with the focus assist which enlarges the center of the picture while
focusing)

I would suggest buying it if it has all the features you need and you
aren't ready to rake out significantly more cash than this would cost.

Ian
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 2:39:36 AM

> Been pleased with the FZ20 so far - the greatest drawback is not having a
> swivel LCD.

I like mine. The 12x optical zoom and the manual focus are particularly
nice. I am more irritated than I expected to be by the 1/2 second or so
shutter lag so I'd recommend playing with one for a while before buying.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 2:39:36 AM

I'm currently looking for my first digital camera, and have whittled my
wish-list down to the Panasonic FZ3 and the Konica-Minolta Dimage Z3. I
shied away from the FZ20 on the basis of size and weight, although it's
technically a better camera than the FZ3. Depends on your priorities, I
suppose. ;-)

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 2:39:37 AM

richard schumacher wrote:
>> Been pleased with the FZ20 so far - the greatest drawback is not
>> having a swivel LCD.
>
> I like mine. The 12x optical zoom and the manual focus are
> particularly nice. I am more irritated than I expected to be by the
> 1/2 second or so shutter lag so I'd recommend playing with one for a
> while before buying.

Yes, I like mine as well! Do you find the delay as bad if you pre-focus
or have the shutter release half pressed down? It doesn't seem like 0.5s
to me.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 2:39:38 AM

In article <31e8ifF383djrU1@individual.net>,
"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> Been pleased with the FZ20 so far - the greatest drawback is not
> >> having a swivel LCD.
> >
> > I like mine. The 12x optical zoom and the manual focus are
> > particularly nice. I am more irritated than I expected to be by the
> > 1/2 second or so shutter lag so I'd recommend playing with one for a
> > while before buying.
>
> Yes, I like mine as well! Do you find the delay as bad if you pre-focus
> or have the shutter release half pressed down? It doesn't seem like 0.5s
> to me.

Even with pre-focus. It probably just seems longer in the heat of the
moment.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 11:37:50 AM

richard schumacher wrote:
[]
>> Yes, I like mine as well! Do you find the delay as bad if you
>> pre-focus or have the shutter release half pressed down? It doesn't
>> seem like 0.5s to me.
>
> Even with pre-focus. It probably just seems longer in the heat of the
> moment.

Oh, well!
I do agree with you the purchaser should try and test before purchase.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:06:46 AM

Are you using a fast SD card or regular speed card?

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:35:05 -0600, richard schumacher
<no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote:

>> > I like mine. The 12x optical zoom and the manual focus are
>> > particularly nice. I am more irritated than I expected to be by the
>> > 1/2 second or so shutter lag so I'd recommend playing with one for a
>> > while before buying.
>>
>> Yes, I like mine as well! Do you find the delay as bad if you pre-focus
>> or have the shutter release half pressed down? It doesn't seem like 0.5s
>> to me.
>
>Even with pre-focus. It probably just seems longer in the heat of the
>moment.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:53:40 PM

It also depends on what picture format you are saving in...if you are saving
as a TIFF that is slow....the burst mode is quite neat if you really need
some quick back to back shots...

<epetru@xnet.com> wrote in message
> Are you using a fast SD card or regular speed card?
>
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:35:05 -0600, richard schumacher
> <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I like mine as well! Do you find the delay as bad if you pre-focus
>>> or have the shutter release half pressed down? It doesn't seem like
>>> 0.5s
>>> to me.
>>
>>Even with pre-focus. It probably just seems longer in the heat of the
>>moment.

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:49:15 AM

I have a Z3 with 12x zoom and a Leica lens. It very light weight and
compact. At $290, it is a great value.

Sabu

!