Build me a cheap media PC

DrRay11

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hello everyone, I'm looking to build an affordable media PC to use as a media center for my 40" HDTV that will also allow for things such as web-surfing and online videos. It will network with my other computer(s). It does not need to play games. It does not need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse, as I have all of those things already. Using the template:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within two months BUDGET RANGE: 300-500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: watching movies/tv (hi-def), surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, does not need to play video games, DOES need to play HD movies and have HDMI out

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: none COUNTRY of ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: nothing really... dual core processor probably suits best

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Nothing fancy otherwise necessary

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Without OS.

2zi954z.png

With OS.

1250x0n.png

Having built HTPCs, etc most of my clients would want something presentable and a small case in shoebox/flatbed does this but the former does it at a cheaper price :p Full ATX casings are bulky and look out of place in there living room so any preference on casing?

DrRay11

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
A smaller case would be better, yes.... I was wondering whether I should try and fit a big ol' hard drive into it or just settle on using an external hard drive...

DrRay11

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Can anyone get this to around $300? It would be well appreciated, and I'm not too sure how the innards of a computer work together (my friend will be building it). I could probably just use Linux as an OS dual booted with some sort of media center.

Thanks

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

You don't really need to dual-boot.

http://www.medibuntu.org/