Build me a cheap media PC

Hello everyone, I'm looking to build an affordable media PC to use as a media center for my 40" HDTV that will also allow for things such as web-surfing and online videos. It will network with my other computer(s). It does not need to play games. It does not need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse, as I have all of those things already. Using the template:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within two months BUDGET RANGE: 300-500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: watching movies/tv (hi-def), surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, does not need to play video games, DOES need to play HD movies and have HDMI out

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: none COUNTRY of ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: nothing really... dual core processor probably suits best

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Nothing fancy otherwise necessary
7 answers Last reply
More about build cheap media
  1. Without OS.

With OS.

2. $300 and it will work fine...
  3. Having built HTPCs, etc most of my clients would want something presentable and a small case in shoebox/flatbed does this but the former does it at a cheaper price :P Full ATX casings are bulky and look out of place in there living room so any preference on casing?
  4. A smaller case would be better, yes.... I was wondering whether I should try and fit a big ol' hard drive into it or just settle on using an external hard drive...
  5. Well a 3.5" Hdd would be fine and you'd be looking at eithe mATX towers, shoeboxes like Silverstone SG-02F or 'flatbeds' like Antec NSK2480
  6. Can anyone get this to around $300? It would be well appreciated, and I'm not too sure how the innards of a computer work together (my friend will be building it). I could probably just use Linux as an OS dual booted with some sort of media center.

Thanks
  7. DrRay11 said:
    Can anyone get this to around $300? It would be well appreciated, and I'm not too sure how the innards of a computer work together (my friend will be building it). I could probably just use Linux as an OS dual booted with some sort of media center.

You don't really need to dual-boot.

http://www.medibuntu.org/
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems