Solved

Playing Old PC Games with Current Up-To-Date Video Card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2010 12:27:49 PM

How many of you out there play Old PC Games with your current Up-to-Date video cards?
I would like to see the numbers for this one.
Well I do in this matter. Why? To see if the Quality and Graphics improve.
At time I do love to make my Old PC Gamers, just to reminder me when the day I started playing PC Games
let me know

More about : playing games current date video card

a c 130 U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 12:37:56 PM

I would reply, but after reading about your type of tasking, I seem to have laughed my colon onto your deskl.

Also, Generals Zh @ 1920x1080 + Full settings = Win.
m
l
March 16, 2010 1:36:16 PM

Keiki646 said:
How many of you out there play Old PC Games with your current Up-to-Date video cards?
I would like to see the number for this one.
Well I do to see if the Quality and Graphics improve.
At time I do love to make my Old PC Gamers, just to reminder me when the day I started playing PC Games
let me know

I don't think the quality would improve that much. Remember that them old games were designed using the benchmarks of that time.

You obviously would;t expect to see hd quality on nfs 1 or prince of persia 2d :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2010 1:44:35 PM

Starges said:
I don't think the quality would improve that much. Remember that them old games were designed using the benchmarks of that time.

You obviously would;t expect to see hd quality on nfs 1 or prince of persia 2d :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Well I realize that but I'd realize the games are much faster when playing
m
l

Best solution

a c 208 U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 1:44:41 PM

Quality wont improve any over what it was back then, most of them dont support AA or higher resolutions so its really limited in what you can do to make them look nicer. I still enjoy an ancient game from time to time on my rig, but they look the same as they used to on my pentium II.
March 16, 2010 1:46:03 PM

I still play Baldurs gate 1 & 2 and Diablo 1 & 2 on my current system without much problem and you cant get much dated than those games. I did manage to get Duke Nukem 3D running on Vista 64 though!!!!!

Current System

i7 920 4ghz
Sapphire 5870
m
l
March 16, 2010 2:15:15 PM

marney_5 said:
I still play Baldurs gate 1 & 2 and Diablo 1 & 2 on my current system without much problem and you cant get much dated than those games. I did manage to get Duke Nukem 3D running on Vista 64 though!!!!!

Current System

i7 920 4ghz
Sapphire 5870

Nice
m
l
March 16, 2010 2:20:47 PM

The whole reason I got dual boot. the os is more important then the video card for old software imo.
m
l
March 16, 2010 2:21:47 PM

The problem I have with playing many older games is the default resolution is too low for my 4870. I get an unsupported resolution error message on many games upon startup. Most games have a way of overriding the default resolution, but that's only during game play. I typically can't get to the start menu to launch the game.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 3:08:55 PM

^^ Shouldn't be a problem; I still regularly play the Aces pack, which were old Dos games ported to windows (320x240 resolution). Might be some scaling going on though...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 3:16:01 PM

Somewhat improves I guess you could say.
The Sims 2 moves at lightning speed on >>>
there is no more flickering graphics on GTA SA while using the Jetpack so
I'd say yes
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 5:32:04 PM

Any speed problems are caused by games that either
A: Didn't properly multithread
B: Used a timer based on CPU clock, rather then something that wouldn't change as CPU's improved.
m
l
March 23, 2010 4:06:58 AM

Best answer selected by Keiki646.
m
l
!