First time overclocking my i5 2500k

sait0u

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hello there,

I have finally decided to give an overclock a try. Researched around for an overclocked and found a link thats suitable to my Mobo. (http://forums.legitreviews.com/about33850.html). I pretty much follow what this guy did. After doing this, I decided to give a prime 95 to see if this was able to take were to be okay.

Here is the temp i had max.

wvsev7.jpg

after 2 hours....It seems a bit high to me. is this okay

My specs:
gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
i5 2500k
radeon 6950
corsair vengence 8 gb 1600

this is also for reference if you guys may need
34no23b.jpg

Solution

Hello,

Sounds like you're pretty close to the...
Do you mean Mv as in going from 1.392V to 1.382V?

I would just lower it slightly and then stability test for 10 minutes, then repeat the process until it can't do 10 minutes of prime95 and then up the voltage slightly and re-test for 8+ hours.

sait0u

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
its 3:15 am for me right now.

Current: 1.356 V so far the max of 77C.

hmm...feels slower when starting up windows. I guess i'll leave it running as I call it a night.

Thank you omgitzfatal. you're a big help and hopefully continue to help me if i run into any trouble. =X. I'll update back tomorrow night.

:eek: Get some sleep! Overclocking can wait :pt1cable:

Nice to see the voltage and temps dropping down to a more acceptable level for your overclock.

Of course I am happy to help if there is any problems later :)

sait0u

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
omgitzfatal,

I woke up and tried to lower the Vcore. I didn't check out what the voltage were cause I went back to sleep. Woke up with a Blue screen (lol). Did readjustments. Right now its hopping between 1.344v and 1.356v with the max temp of 76C on "package" temp. 75C on core 2. Seems okay as far as i can tell. =)

I believe I have forgotten to mention that I left my SPD settings to 1600 when the guy from the link clocked his to 2133. Do you think that was the reason why temps were rather high? (sorry being a rather noobish when it comes to OCing)

I also checked the rams I have would be able to overclock it to 1866 by reading reviews. I don't know if its necessary or what not.

Hello,

Sounds like you're pretty close to the lowest Vcore you can use for your overclock, the core temps are what matters and 75C is good :)

Yeah the SPD refers to your RAM speed and this will depend on what RAM you brought as to what frequency you can run it at, try 1866Mhz with it's rated voltage and timings, if that is unstable you could try looser timings.

RAM frequency will have very little effect on the CPU temps but QPI/Vtt/VCCIO Voltages will (you probably have these on auto).

Though I would say overclocking your RAM won't net you much of a performance increase.

Solution