Sign in with
Your question

Time to Upgrade?

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2010 12:34:52 AM

Hi eveHi every one thanks for taking the time to read my post.
I have the following system
6 Gigs of dd2
Core 2 q8200 2.33 (socket 775)
Terabyte hardrive
Ati Radion Hd 4600
Os windows 7 (64 bit)
My system runs most everything I need.
But the socket 775 is dead and I'm sure ddr2 is well on its way. I was wondering if it was time to upgrade.
I would like to build a system for the next 2 1/2 years if at all possible.
1. how much life dose the socket am3 have?
2. if I go Intel what's better? socket 1366 or 1156 Will one done die?
3. Should I hold off all together? If so for how long and what for.
3. The Big 3 USB 3.0 sata 3 and ddr3 should I consider those for future upgrades.

I guess my end goal is to get a mid range system because cost is a factor for me, with some room for expandability . I'm not trying to future proof my rig. The one I have runs just fine now. However a little more speed will never hurt anyone :)  Thanks for reading my post.

More about : time upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2010 12:43:58 AM

You have a pretty solid rig there, what doesnt it do well that you would like it to? If we know whawt you need it to do that it doesnt then we can suggest a specific upgrade but i wouldnt scrap the whole system yet.

SATA 3 and DDR3 arent very important actually, only a few SSDs can saturate the SATA 2 interface, it wont become necessary for another year or two and even then will require a drive that can make use of the bandwidth, and DDR3 provides no performance increase relative to DDR2.
m
l
April 4, 2010 12:53:00 AM

It dose every thing I need it to do. I do gaming mostly low-end mmorpg. Some times I play a new game the video card works just fine for that. I tend to run a lot of apps at once. Ie use hand brake wmc and windowed game some times I will dvr a program to. I guess that's a apps at once. Some thing to do the job a little better. If I need to hold out for 6 months to a year that would be OK too. I just figured since there are a lot of advancements its worth looking into. I know about the sata 3 drive being unable but it would be nice to have when the time comes.
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2010 12:53:37 AM

hunter315 said:
You have a pretty solid rig there, what doesnt it do well that you would like it to? If we know whawt you need it to do that it doesnt then we can suggest a specific upgrade but i wouldnt scrap the whole system yet.

SATA 3 and DDR3 arent very important actually, only a few SSDs can saturate the SATA 2 interface, it wont become necessary for another year or two and even then will require a drive that can make use of the bandwidth, and DDR3 provides no performance increase relative to DDR2.

Agreed, your system is fine. I myself plan to keep with socket 775 for a couple more years(and I game!). I'm barely considering upping my GPU from an OC'd 8800GT because it chokes on my new 2048x1152 monitor. Holding off since I'm not playing anything graphically demanding right now and if SCII runs fine (w/ max eye candy) I probably won't upgrade.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2010 1:53:12 AM

The longer you can wait the more you can get for your money, if it does everything you need it to then its a waste to upgrade now so you are best off trying to hold out for another 6 months or a year or just do a small upgrade or OC the processor, once you encounter something that it cant do well enough for your needs then you can target that specific need. If you want better gaming performance upgrading to a 5850 or 5770 or 5750 would give you quite a boost and DX11 capabilities.
m
l
April 4, 2010 2:43:49 AM

I will look into a video card maybe in a few months thanks so much every one for taking the time to answer my post.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2010 2:50:11 AM

Hint... AMD's AM3 6-cores will be out sometime around Summer time for under $300. Worth the wait, if you aren't in a hurry and the system does what you want it to do. :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2010 3:08:07 AM

Not dead as far as I know... AM2/AM2+ might be dead, as I've heard the new AM3 6-cores might not be backwards compatible with them.
m
l
!