Desktop keeps rebooting

amateuruser

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I am working on an old Dell Dimension desktop 2350. It keeps rebooting just after the Windows XP screen, doesn't let me go into the safe mode either. I tried to 'repair' the hard drive from the XP disc, it still kept doing the same thing. Would a BIOS upgrade solve the problem and if so, how would I be able to do this from a flash drive or do I have to do it from the Floppy drive?

amateuruser

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I scanned it by attaching via an adapter, it showed me virus but did not let me quarantine or remove them. So I installed new version of OS on the same partition but different folder (C:\Windows2 instead of C:\Windows)> Would I be able to retrieve data, if there were any, from that partition?

^ Use ESET Free online scanner -> http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

Yes, you can easily pull data from a partition. Depending upon the virus {some screw with the .exe} you 'might' be able to run System Restore. I rarely post registry issues, but I know my way around it.

If it screwed with the .exe then DO NOT run System Restore; here's a .exe registry fix -> http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/xp-internet-security-2010-rogue

Fix .exe

1. Ctrl-Alt-Del, kill {av.exe}; or whatever BAD App

2. Run {rstrui.exe} RegEdit and correct the following:
[BAD]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\av.exe" /START "%1" %*
[Good]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command
(Default) REG_SZ exefile
Content Type REG_SZ application/x-msdownload

[BAD]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\av.exe" /START "%1" %*
[Good]
*Delete Key*

[BAD]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\av.exe" /START "%1" %*
[Good]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command
(Default) REG_SZ exefile
Content Type REG_SZ application/x-msdownload
+ Folder = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler
[correct key entry should be unaffected]

TRENDING THREADS