Fuzzy Screen of Death

disloyalcarrot

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hi, I just built my own system on Wednesday, And it is working fine except for the fact that whenever I try to play a game. What will happen is that it will load the game and then after playing for about 5 to 10 minutes the game will crash. After this if I try to load the game it will instantly crash. And sometimes after it crashes the screen turns all fuzzy and the computer will restart. I have no Idea what is causing this, but I have almost ruled out it being the RAM. (I took the sticks out one at a time (so there was always 2 sticks in) and the problem persisted, but I haven't been able to take out 2 sticks at a time yet.(So only 1 stick would be in.) Also I don't think it is the video card, because before I got the system running I let my friend use it and he ran games perfectly fine on it. I believe I have all the latest drivers as well. Also if it helps my OS is windows 7.

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI PRO E
GPU: Powercolor 5770
RAM: OCZ Triple channel
Processor I7 920 @ stock

Oh also I don't believe it is overheating either because I checked my temps in Everest and they were all fine.

* After running memtest my RAM failed, so I'm just gonna RMA it.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Sounds like CPU cooling issues. .. Mounting ... Cooler tight and locked ... paste/compound.

Also might be a bad PSU or a poorly assembled GPU ... GPU (5770) fan spins ?
... GPU fan still spinning after crash ??

... Might also be the PSU overheating or early fail ...

... What exact model (PLEASE) of PSU did you install ??

... Good when cold and crash when warm/hot = heat probs.

... A distant last guess might be a poorly seated GPU ... Intermittent contact when warm.

= Alvin = (PSU model# please ? )

disloyalcarrot

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
The PSU is a corsair 650w HX series, So I seriously doubt that it is the PSU overheating. (Plus I felt it to check and it wasn't warm at all.) The CPU temp is always under 40 degrees C (according to Everest). The GPU is seated perfectly fine as well (I repositioned it like 6 times thinking that it was loose or poorly seated. It is also far away from everything else.). I think it was the RAM that was bad, and it caused corruption in the system, which caused the screen to appear.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

... Yay! ... hope that's all it was ... please follow-up with a later report. Thanks!

= Al =