Basic use computer + multimedia

eagle05

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (Anytime)

BUDGET RANGE: 500-600 after rebates (preferably don't want to have to deal with rebates)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Internet, MS word, powerpoint, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: NA

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, tigerdirect, amazon, frys.com, any other reliable website

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD phenom II quad core, or a pentium cpu that can rival the amd price.
Would also prefer to have an antec 300 because it gets really good reviews, or can consider another reliable case.
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Three-Hundred-External-Internal/dp/B000GQMHBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270344592&sr=8-1

wireless keyboard and mouse

basically any deal that i should not pass up on

OVERCLOCKING: yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 1920x1200. Something that will be at least a 22 inch

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to have a fairly quiet computer. Will probably also need a decent set of speakers preferably one with it's own separate controls that also has a headset jack. The cheaper that the system could be built, the better, but at the same time I want a fairly reliable and bang for the buck system.

Thanks a lot for your help! and if you guys know of any other good websites let me know!!

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
A decent 22~25" LCD can pretty well blow your tight budget ... but important ...

... Have you considered combining your HDTV budget with your PC-Display budget ??

... Tiger Direct (tiger.com) has GREAT 28" 1920x1200 displays for $319 ... HDMI (5ms).

The good news is that you primarily have a low power (smallish) HTPC build, here and that means you can easily "get by" with integrated graphics and slower ram ...

... I would go with a Phenom-II 3xCore (2.8Ghz) and a stock cooler ...

... Absolutely NO NEED to Over-clock !! (and this saves $80++ total !!).

... Just get the ASUS 890 PRO USB3 mobo ... it is just perfect and might even unlock the 4th core (but you won't need 4 cores ... like ... at .. all).

= Alvin =

eagle05

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

well i'm not really looking for a top of the line lcd moniter, i've seen some 22-24 inch lcds that go in around the 150 price range. is that price (let's say around 140-180) enough to blow the whole PC budget? I just want to get a feel to see if i might need to spend more money or not
i have considered getting an hdtv as a moniter, but i think i will get the tv some other time as a computer is more important right now.
i would like to unlock it if possible, is it fairly easy to unlock a 4th core for someone like me who has never OC'd before? like is there a set of directions i could follow or should i just let someone more experienced try taking a look at it?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Well, ... I will just say this one thing, about budget ...

Gaming systems and HTPC systems seem to dominate the "under $1000/USD" budget build space, on this forum and I have either witnessed or participated in something like 1000 (one thousand) of such builds, since coming here ...

... While it is possible to build "cheaper" than $500, for JUST what is inside the "System Case", ... ... A "decent", "balanced", and "capable" (HTPC) rig is going to come in at $500~$650/USD JUST for what is inside the case. That is what is typical and you can go back over the recent month's threads (here) and search on "HTPC" (home theater) ... you will get a very good idea what to expect and what "acceptable" compromises are possible/prudent.

Just to set your expectations, properly, and (hopefully) not to have you "cheap out" of an adequately capable" build.

There ARE a *few* "value techs" who might be able to leverage multiple discounts and clearance deals and rebates and other "savings" to shave up to $100 off that budget but, even those builds (tho capable) are not as modern, in terms of "longevity".

... You really don't even need 3-cores, tho ... but just good to have, looking forward.

... 4 cores ? ... not really unless you do bunches of media rendering and trans-coding (I do!).

Again, ... at this price point, it can be better to wait and save an extra 15% to make a truly sensible build, than to "cheap out" and cut your own leg off ... at THIS price point ... You can get 30%+ more capability and performance for 15% more ... While ... you can get a useless pile of older whimpy junk, for only 15% less ... (in my experience, here).

Regardless ... we will give you the very best we can, based on ANY max budget limit.

= Alvin =

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Here's a decent build for $600

I know the PSU is WAY overkill. But it was only $15 more then OCZ 500W one. And that way if you ever wanted to add a hefty video card your set.

You can switch the PSU to a corsair 400W which is also higher quality and save a few bucks, but you won't be able to add a very good GPU if you ever wanted to then.

Up to you.

168tlvp.png

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
yeah I agree, it's not the best mobo. But it is the best mobo for under $70.

If you want a better one, go with the Gigabyte 770 USB 3.0 + sata 6GB's. but that's $90.

The 890GX is out of the price range.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
nuttin' wrong w the 790s if you are on a budget ...

... I just like the south-bridge on the 890s better ... a bit better resource management which WILL manefest as you add higher bandwidth USB3/SATA3 devices (ones which suturate the bandwidth) ... NOT A CRITICAL CONCERN, THO !

= If you gave me
Fang's mobo (either one) ... I would go ahead and use it for my OWN build (an HDV edit rig) ... Nice (for YOU) that such great mobos are available at such little cost !

= Al =

eagle05

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

thanks alvin,
I'll keep this advice in mind and browse around the previous builds and such.

"Internet, MS word, powerpoint, watching movies"
am not sure why whitefang chose to build a non functioning system w/o video for the $$ and keeps insisting on gaming class GPU but to his credit he admits his poor choice of PSU so for a fully functional rig @ $581AR after ship
ouwq.jpg

Alvin has a good point about 890GX but for your budget range it's a bridge too far ^^

TRENDING THREADS