Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quick Question

Last response: in Storage
May 7, 2012 10:44:38 PM

So I'm at the last part of my buy for my build. I know I would like 2 hard drives.

So my question is can I do 1 hard drive for Windows and the 2nd one to hold Ubuntu but the one with Ubuntu to hold the downloads and software for windows to use also? I know its kind of confusing.

So I guess kind of like 1 hard drive with a partition to hold Ubuntu and the other partition to run software for both OS's and hold my downloads.

More about : quick question

a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 1:16:12 AM

That would work assuming you know what format to put on each partition. It's a bit of a messy setup though. I would probably go with one ssd that had win/ubuntu on it, and then have a storage drive that both os used.

What do you use ubuntu for out of curiosity?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 1:39:11 AM

Why not just put them on the same drive? That setup could get messy, especially when you run into programs that don't like to install on anything but your C (boot) drive. Wubi, for instance, will allow you to easily create an Ubuntu partition for the OS and all its files. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installe...
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2012 1:39:51 AM

I can answer that! Ubuntu is awesome in the sense that it gives you access to literally thousands of software applications.....free! Including tools, that you can use to fix computers. One of the most popular being the tools used for partitioning and setting up hard drives. If you don't have Ubuntu, and have never tried it.....I recommend you start playing. you will be amazed ay=t how useful it is. in fact.....I bet many computer repair places keep at least one Ubuntu machine on hand.
m
l
May 8, 2012 2:57:07 AM

Lol Terry! Number one reason? I won't lie I use it to download because I could copy a version of it on my virtual machine and since then it grew on me.

Alright so lets say I get a 60 gb SSD and dual boot the 2 and run everything else off the other hard drive do you guys know anything about steadystate or deepfreeze?

I would like to have it like a school computer where I could update things when I like but revert any changes after restart but not lose downloads on the 2nd hard drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 3:10:25 AM

60gb is skinny for two OSes.
m
l
May 8, 2012 3:15:37 AM

Its just going to be XP 64 bit and the linux. Think I should go bigger?
m
l
May 8, 2012 3:27:33 AM

I myself have not used any of that software. So, i can't answer that question. But, i agree that 60gb is a bit skinny for two OS. It's enough.....but not by much. I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Can you get an 80g instead?
m
l
May 8, 2012 3:34:30 AM

I'll go with a 90gb ssd from kingston or ocz. So then does anyone know about the reverting changes thing?
m
l

Best solution

May 8, 2012 5:03:02 AM

My system is set up the way you describe. A Samsung 830, 128gb SSD for Windows 7 and important apps and games, and less important apps on the second hard drive (including browser caches, downloads folder and game caches). The Win7 pagefile is also in a separate partition on the second drive. It all works nicely for me and the SSD is free of any frequent writes and unnecessary clutter. The Xubuntu bootloader (Grub) is installed in the second hard drive's MBR, so I use the Gigabyte mobo boot menu to select that drive when desired. Don't know how you feel about the "mess" but I happen to love the setup. I don't use a separate /home partition with Xubuntu.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s397/spankmon/ssd-s...
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s397/spankmon/wd-ca...
May 8, 2012 5:21:52 PM

Would you be able to show me how you did it?
m
l
May 8, 2012 5:46:48 PM

Sure. I'll put up a blog page with step-by-step guide, and when it's ready will post a link here to the page.
m
l
May 8, 2012 5:48:39 PM

Best answer selected by Elvis210.
m
l
May 8, 2012 6:06:27 PM

*Not relevant, so removed*
m
l
!