GTX 275 Performance problems

Remobeater

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I have a Zotac GTX 275 896mb GPU
I7 2.8GHZ quadcore processor
Corsair 650w psu

With these specs I should be getting pretty optimal performance out of the graphics card. Most of the time I'm playing BF2 or MWF2 which aren't too taxing but I'm trying to run crysis at 1900 x 1200 and having some problems. I installed rivatuner to mess with overclocking but it doesn't seem that my gpu is getting normal performance speeds. I don't know what my actual frame rate is, but running High settings it seems to get somewhere around 20fps.

I think it is not bumping to performance 3d because Rivatuner says its getting 400mhz core clock and 300mhz memory clock (whats listed in 'low power 3d'). Trying to run high settings it jumped up to 680mhz once and then crashed the game. It lags every 20 seconds or so with very bad frame rates.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Ian

Remobeater

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hmm... I ran Furmark and was getting about 18fps avg framerate. Something fishy was definately going on. Rivatuner again showed the card bumping to 3d low power settings (400 core clock 300 memory clock). I uninstalled rivatuner and tried it again: 45fps frame rate at 1920 x 1200. Unfortunately I can't view the clock speeds, but I'm sure they are running at normal 3d settings. Temperature wasn't reading on furmark either.
I tried installing rivatuner again and it said there was a problem with unsigned drivers with the program. I can't get it to run now. I think the card is working fine and Crysis plays fine at high settings but I can't view the temp or try overclocking at all.

Anyone have any problems like this?

I'm reinstalling zotac drivers right now.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

You could try another program, i've heard EVGA precision is good and shows GPU temps.

Sorry, i have no idea why your GPU temp is not showing with those programs.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
First off, I wouldn't recommend the Zotac drivers. Download the latest drivers from nvidia's website. Second, Rivatuner will say that it isn't compatible with newer drivers, but it's still functional. If you can't get the card running normally yet, I wouldn't worry about overclocking anyway. Third, your card jumps from low power 3D and performance 3D depending on what program/game you are running. This is normal and you shouldn't worry about it unless your card gets stuck at low power 3D while running a demanding game. Restart your computer whenever that happens.
I'm not exactly sure what problem you're having now. It sounds like everything's running normally. Install the nvidia drivers and get back to us.

Remobeater

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The drivers from Zotac are Nvidia, I believe they are just mirrors of the lastest drivers. I tried running Nvidia monitor and looking at the GPU through nvidia control and both result in blue screen.

GPU-Z works. The only problem looks like the fan duty cycle isn't increasing. I let it get to 70*C before I stopped it.

The problem before was that it was in low power 3d on anything I tried. Even after restarting it didn't help. I'm not sure why rivatuner isn't working. I will try to install it again.

Most people get like 10% of thier MW2 Frames when they play Crysis.

Remobeater

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
It seems to be working fine now, I'm just not able to adjust overclocking frequencies. I actually got RT to change fan control rule, because it normally wouldn't start cooling until 75* or so and so now it keeps the temp below 70*. Crysis seems to play beautifully actually, a few pauses every few minutes, but the card is definately going to 3D performance settings.