Help needed to pick out a mobo/RAM

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hello all, I'm going to be building my first desktop soon and I would like your help picking out a mobo and RAM.

RAM
----------------
Corsair XMS3 12GB 1600 $180

Good choice or is there something better for the price? Or do I need to spend more to get decent 12GB kits? I think this RAM works in all of mobos listed below.

MOBO
-----------------
Originally I was looking into getting the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R but then the ASUS Sabertooth because I it bundled with 6GB of RAM on newegg. Since then my budget has gone up slightly so I am planning on getting 12GB of RAM (and thus not getting the 6gb bundle)

I would want to spend ~$200 on the mobo with SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, be able to do RAID 1, support a SSD, be able to do dual crossfire/SLI and somewhat OC friendly (i've never OCed before...)

So the three im considering at the moment are:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R but I was reading this thread and the GIGABYTE UD3R has problems with RAID and SSDs? Besides my concerns with the board, I like that it has an IDE port, this isn't necessary but just nice to have cause there are several old IDE drives lying around the house

ASUS Sabertooth: i like the 5 year warranty and the extra 2 external and 2 internal USBs

ASUS P6X58D
currently $209 on amazon, so within budget)
None of the specs are jumping out at me but from the reviews its a solid performer. Also, anyone bought a mobo from amazon before?

So is there clear winner here? If you want to see the side by side click here

I would go with the asus sabertooth for it's price, warranty, and features. Don't expect it to be perfect; you may have to tweak it for awhile to get everything working well. I wouldn't try overclocking right away; let it run awhile. I don't overclock as much anymore; I prefer stability and reducing my electric bill.