Is a asus IPIBL-LB compatible with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400?

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hi, first time posting here. I'm going to be upgrading my old Pentium D 2.60 E5300 to a nice and fast Intel core 2 duo 3.0 E8400. Only reason why i am doing this is for gaming. Now my mother board is a asus IPIBL-LB (Benicia) G33 Chip set. LINK http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01324212 .
And the Cpu's page http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33910 .
I saw on the E8400 that a Intel Express G33 Chip set is on the compatible list, my mother board just says Chip set : G33. Is that the same thing and if so doesn't that mean their both compatible? If you need my current Cpu page here it is http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35300 . If anyone was wondering what kind of graphics card i do have since i am going to be gaming it is a GTS 250, 512mb xfx core edition. Thanks

Solution
For motherboard compatibility, you will want to look at 4 things:

1. Socket support. I think we're obviously past that with you lol. Moving on.
2. Chipset support. Reseach your chipset (I find wikipedia is surprisingly good for this) to find the CPUs compatible with that chipset.
3. Motherboard wattage support must support the TDP of given CPU. Listed on most manufacturer's websites, even OEMs like HP.
4. Bios support. This is easy with a motherboard you bought. Just go onto the manufacturer's website and see compatibility.
This is more difficult with OEM motherboards. They will only ever officially support the CPUs that they came with to begin with.
There is always the odd chance that if the chipset is compatible, the CPU will...
For motherboard compatibility, you will want to look at 4 things:

1. Socket support. I think we're obviously past that with you lol. Moving on.
2. Chipset support. Reseach your chipset (I find wikipedia is surprisingly good for this) to find the CPUs compatible with that chipset.
3. Motherboard wattage support must support the TDP of given CPU. Listed on most manufacturer's websites, even OEMs like HP.
4. Bios support. This is easy with a motherboard you bought. Just go onto the manufacturer's website and see compatibility.
This is more difficult with OEM motherboards. They will only ever officially support the CPUs that they came with to begin with.
There is always the odd chance that if the chipset is compatible, the CPU will work, regardless. If the bios is not compatible, it might not work properly. From incorrect speeds to just not working at all.

If I had to guess, I would say it would work, since it is also a dual core and the CPU wattage is the same.

As for the upgrade being worth it if it does work, I doubt you will notice a significant difference in any game. The E5300 is a core 2 duo with less cache. It's not like you would be upgrading from "netburst" architecture to "core 2" architecture. What games are you playing and at what settings and monitor resolution? Depending on the game, you could benefit from an upgrade to a quad core. But dual core to dual core? Not usually worth it. Even if there would be an improvement in gaming, the price would not be worth the literally minor difference.

If you are seriously feeling that your system cannot handle games, please let us know in detail and we will try to advise you as to what we think the best course of action is.

Solution

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
1. Socket support. LGA 775 - PASS -
2. Chipset support. Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale core) E8xxx - FOUND ON MOBO SPEC LINK I SUPPLIED http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01640560&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3895001&lang=en G33 Express Chip Set - PASS -
3. Motherboard wattage support must support. Since both of the cpu's wattage is 65W - PASS -
4. Bios support. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01640560&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3895001&lang=en
Processor Must select one of the following options:

* Pentium E5300 (W) (2.6GHz /800 MHz) 2 MB L2 cache; Dual Core (65W)
* Core 2 Duo E7500 (W) (2.93GHz /1066 MHz) 3 MB L2 cache; Dual Core (65W)
* Core 2 Quad Q6600 (K) (2.4GHz /1066 MHz) 8 MB L2 cache; Quad Core (95W)
* Core 2 Duo E8300 (W) DC (2.5GHz /1333 MHz) 4 MB L2 cache; Quad Core (95W)
This was supplied by the link above. know these are the options i saw when i was building my pc when i bought it about 2 years ago. This is the part that questions me a bit.

The reason why im looking at this cpu is for i told im bottle necking my gts 250 http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/GTSseries/250GTS.aspx .

Well i play gears of war all on medium with out AA/Dx10 and a forced resoultion of 800x600. Shattered horizon i know i can play, just cpu is to low.
I thought Pentium and duo were different like the dual core i under stand i though one was stronger then another.

That does not seem right to me. I have an older radeon 3870 and can play that game on high at 1920x1080. I find it most interesting that you are forced to a lower resolution in order to be able to play considering that the CPU usage decreases with resolution increase. If possible, I would test to make sure it is the CPU before switching. Do you have any friends with better socket 775 CPUs?

Pentium dual core and core 2 duo are the exact same but the core 2 duo has more cache. It's like the AMD Athlon IIx2 3.2GHz vs the Phenom IIx2 3.2GHz. They are the same but the phenom II has more cache. The cache comes in handy in applications like games, but not significant enough for your current CPU to be a bad CPU for your video card. I can see it holding it back a bit in some games but certainly not by the amount you say.

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
No i don't have any friends with a socket 775. I do have have friends at my school asking whats a socket 775? My main computer at home is a AMD board so that wouldn't work (im wireless).

My main resolution i would like to play on is 1366x768. Thats just my moniter size but im forced to 800x600

Now about the cache's, i sort of remember some one telling me in gears of war that i was bottle necking my gpu with the cpu i currently have. He recommended me the E8400 and told me it was great for over clocking and gaming for the era of games you like to play. ( games like gears of war, shattered horizon, maybe when diablo 3 comes out). Also he went into the cache with me. Correct me if im wrong, he told me that the cache acts like a freeway. the wider the free way the more processing can get through quicker the smaller and thinner the less power your going to get out. ( BOTTLE NECK ) So i think the cache is like that gate way for your processing to come out.

so what do you think?

Try playing at your native resolution.

You mentioned overclocking, if you are willing to do that, then there is no need for a new CPU. Get your current one to 3.0GHz and it should not bottleneck anything for sure. Try this: Run the game you think is bottlenecking and check your CPU usage. If it is at 100% all the time, there is a problem. Make the task manager graph refresh speed "low" then get into your game, play and exit. See if it was previously at 100% at least on one core.

No. That's a metaphor for 64-bit vs 32-bit. It can also work for multiple cores. Cache is basically super fast ram on the CPU die. If the information is already on the CPU die, the CPU doesn't have to access the slower system ram as often. I've heard up to 10% performance increases due to cache. It's more like adding a parking lot at the entrance to a highway so you can park some cars there as opposed to having to go to the larger parking lot further away all the time.

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I just got done playing my "NATIVE RESOLUTION". Ha, no but i just got done testing shattered Horizon. My Graphics card i know can handle the graphics, its just the Cpu. I did what you said to do with the task manager and it sat on 98-99% of the time. Heres what i was playing on...

Resolution - 1366x768
Shadows - Low
Textures - Low
AA "Anti - Alisign" - NONE * My card supports DX10/9 and is SUPPOSED to support AA *
VSYNC - None
Post Processing - Low *Not sure what this is but it's set to low*
FPS recorded - 10/17

*EDIT*

Over clocking, i have seen people do it on youtube and all but i'm just to scared. It's the voltage that gets me, if it's to high or to low.

shovenose

Distinguished
well, if this a prebuilt computer (hp, dell, etc), then u cant overclock. if its custom made then give it a shot. you can go 200mhz or so without rasing the voltage, then raies it 2 notches or so and go alittle higher...

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Its prebuilt, so that only leaves me the option to get the new cpu then. I wish i could over clock, that would be nice. Just games today are evolving. Most games require a duo core brand and i have pentium, even though there both duel core one IS stronger then another.

The pentium dual core is a core 2 duo with reduced cache. the pentium d is based on the old netburst architecture and any modern processor will outperform the 3.8GHz version of the netburst.

For your circumstances, I believe it is the least expensive option to get your framerate up.

But if you are paying this much for it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Then you would be better off with this for $10 less. Plus you would get that unlocked non-OEM bios:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131595
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103843

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks for the Help Ezno, you helped me alot. Just one little thing the Mobo you listed is Amd, is there another mobo you can supply that supports Intel? I never studied AMD, i was always a intel kind of guy.

Oh. I only suggested that specific CPU and motherboard because you would have gotten core 2 duo 3GHz or better performance for the same price as the core 2 duo CPU itself.

I'd recommend any good Asus board with an ATI or intel chipset. Nvidia chipsets are not so reliable in my experience. Nvidia seems to agree as boards with Nvidia chipsets are starting to become scarce. I would suggest something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131393

I just said Asus because of my experience with them. But don't let that put you off getting another brand.

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Haha, you did help to and thank you for it but i really think Enzo deserves the best answer. I'm just going to wait for his/her answer when he/she gets back on and see what i should do.

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
When i meant to wait for him/her i meant by what post of his/hers i should choose as best answer. We we're talking about different things at a clip. Bottle necking, new hard ware, and testing hard ware.