I want to start by saying that while I have worked with various software and done some fairly basic programing, I relatively little hardware knowledge. If i say or do something stupid call me on it. My previous computers have all been pre-built machines which I have paid way to much for.
I am planing on putting together my first custom system. I have spent some time reading and have picked out components that I think will work well together.
My goal is to build a 64bit Windows 7 PC which will be able to handle any game I can throw at it at at least medium/high settings(obviously higher settings/high res is better). I will also be using it for 3D CAD and photo and HD video editing. I would like to be able to use multiple monitors comfortably (probably just 2). I want my computer to be fairly futureproof/upgradable. I would like to be able to do some overclocking. (I have a friend to help with this)
Here is what I have come up with. Most prices are from TigerDirect I realize that I may be able to find cheaper if I shop around a bit. (which I intend to do before buying anything)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ965FBGMBOX - 3.40GHz,
Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail,
Processor with Fan
4 x Yate Loon 120mm Fan, High Speed (D12SH-12)
So the question that I have are as follows. feel free to address all issues, only one, or anything in between.
1) Are there any compatibility problems?
2) Have I missed anything?
3) Could I do better in a similar price range?
4) Is this whole system overkill? Would a cheaper one do everything I want?
4) Is there anything I can change so that I can save some money without sacrificing much performance?
5)Is there anything I can change that will give me drastically better performance that does not cost much more?
6) Is my power supply overkill?..... Even if I want to add a second graphics card or HD later?
7) will my case fit all this?... Even if I want to add a second graphics card or HD later?
8)Anything else You want to tell me?
I realize that I have asked a lot... I would appreciate any and all advice you can offer me. Thank You
Yes there is - come April 26th AMD would release their new wave of 800 mobos with native SATA 6GB/s so if u could wait pumping so much on a high end 700 chipset which would be obsolete in like 3 weeks not a good idea
1. No need CF: 870 chipset
2. 8x/8x with IGP back up : 890GX
3. No CF with IGP backup: 880G
4. Crazy @#! 3-4 way CF: 890FX
5. Also on same day: PhenomII X6 Thuban out