XFX 4870 no s-video

mcchase

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hi,

I bought an XFX 4870 1GB in july last year, it has two DVI-I outputs on it though im only using one at the moment for a single monitor. Recently i acquire a projection TV with S-Video, composite and SCART inputs which i would like to use as a secondary monitor. I have been wondering if it is was possible to get a DVI-I to s-video converter, but i was told my card has to support "TV-out"? After more searching i found out that all the XFX 4870's i saw had an s-video out between the DVI-I outputs, but mine doesn't for some reason. So my question is their a cheap solution to my problem? I have found some cheap VGA to s-video cables but i'm not certain if they will work.

Thanks in advance.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If your graphics card does have what looks like an S-Video port (it's actually just a TV-Out port), then your card should have come with an adapter that plugs into that port (probably an TV-Out to Component cable). You will probably also need a converter cable that converts from Component (Red/Green/Blue) to either Composite (yellow) or S-Video (4-pin).

-Wolf sends

mcchase

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

Thanks for the reply wolf. Being as my 4870 has no TV-out on it and it didnt come with any S-video or component adapters am I to assume it does not support TV-out and there is no cheap solution?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sorry, I missed that part ("but mine doesn't for some reason"). :??:

Not having any experience with VGA to S-Video converters, I really can't say how well, or even if they work.

Found this converter on a site that I trust (Monoprice.com). It has plenty of positive reviews, but may be more expensive than what you're looking to spend ($27.51 + S&H).

-Wolf sends

mcchase

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

Thanks again, i had a look at the converter but unfortunately I'm from the UK (i probably should have mentioned), so thats not much good for me, I had a look around for similar products but they all seem a bit expensive. I might try and swap my 4870 for one which does support S-video.

jesmoke

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
You would have to check with XFX to see if your particular 4870 supports TV-out via a VGA to S-video converter. Not many cards support it so before you gamble on buying the cable it would not hurt to check.

mcchase

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

Thanks smoke, I'll send them an e-mail and see what they say.