Thief DP on XP Home

I was round a friend's house this afternoon, a friend to whom I had given my
copy of Dark Project (as I'd bought Thief Gold). We couldn't get Thief to
install. The splash screen would pop-up briefly then disappear.

Has anyone managed to get Dark project to install and run on XP Home? The PC
is a laptop (a Viao) so I recognise than the
not-quite-as-standard-as-desktop hardware might get in the way of things...

JJ (UK)

from the command line, run the setup program with the switch: /LGNTFORCE

Jeff/JJ wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get Dark project to install and run on XP Home?

Yes. That /LGNTFORCE is useful, but I've only had to use it once
myself.

Check that the system does conform to minimum requirements, but
take into account that that won't mean you will be able to run any
screen resolution at that minimum system. If you *are* on a
'just enough' system, you probably need to use absolutely lowest
screen resolution, for instance. Don't believe that you can
get by with just ... was it 64Mb main memory / 16 Mb video mem?
Modern video laptop adapters tend to use main memory for video memory,
so you typically need more main memory than stated. (On the other
hand, memory is seldom much of a problem any more ...)

Try disabling extra video and audio functionality in Windows:
say, don't use hardware acceleration. I remember running into
audio problems with my first set up: several games refused to
run or ran into problems with sound until I reduced settings.
Control Panel | Sound and Audio Settings | Audio | Sound playback
| Advanced ... | Performance: try using 'None' just to see if
that changes anything.

You may want to try to run in compatibility mode as well
-- right click 'thief.exe', select Compatibility tab, and
try the different modes. (Or check that you aren't running
in a mode that doesn't work.)

Hyperthreading may be another problem -- see http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm
but it doesn't seem to strike as quickly as you describe.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:49:29 -0700 Terry Olsen said :

>from the command line, run the setup program with the switch: /LGNTFORCE

What is this switches function?

Are there other commands?

The reason I ask is I did not know there may be problems with XP Home
and thief the dark project.

I just bought the game(used) for a friend and want to know anything
to look out for in advance.

He is using a ComPac celaron 2ghz system or something with 512 megs
of ram if that helps.

He also has a lot of aplications installed.

Geneve

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

MOS

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:49:29 -0700 Terry Olsen said :
>>
>>from the command line, run the setup program with the
>>switch: /LGNTFORCE
>>

> What is this switches function?

It makes your computer load the exe. properly for
Windows XP. I had to do that for Gold and DP
before I could play them. XP is NT based and
doesn't want to recoginize the program otherwise.

> Are there other commands?

Just one. Make me a sandwich ;-P.

> The reason I ask is I did not know there may be problems
> with XP Home and thief the dark project.

I've had no problems with DP nor Gold running
on XP if installied with the "lgntforce" command.
Dromed and Xp give me fits.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:20:43 -0700 Mos said :

>"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:49:29 -0700 Terry Olsen said :
>>>
>>>from the command line, run the setup program with the
>>>switch: /LGNTFORCE
>>>

>> What is this switches function?
>
>It makes your computer load the exe. properly for
>Windows XP. I had to do that for Gold and DP
>before I could play them. XP is NT based and
>doesn't want to recoginize the program otherwise.

Ok so if I want to replay them in Windows 2000 pro I
also might have top use some help.

I wonder if any one in this newsgroup is using Windows 2000 Pro
with T1/T2 ?

Currently I have T3 installed version 1.01 u.s.

>> Are there other commands?
>
>Just one. Make me a sandwich ;-P.

HA !

I love it.....

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

> It makes your computer load the exe. properly for
> Windows XP. I had to do that for Gold and DP
> before I could play them. XP is NT based and
> doesn't want to recoginize the program otherwise.

I have Windows 2000 and it runs Thief TDP just fine without needing any
switches.

--

"Happy endings are a myth designed to
make us feel better about the fact

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:47:00 -0000 Paul Harris said :

>> It makes your computer load the exe. properly for
>> Windows XP. I had to do that for Gold and DP
>> before I could play them. XP is NT based and
>> doesn't want to recoginize the program otherwise.
>
>I have Windows 2000 and it runs Thief TDP just fine without needing any
>switches.

Just saw this message.

That's nice to know.

Geneve

--

On 3 Jan 2005 09:30:03 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:49:29 -0700 Terry Olsen said :
>>
>>from the command line, run the setup program with the switch: /LGNTFORCE
>>

>What is this switches function?
>
>Are there other commands?
>
>The reason I ask is I did not know there may be problems with XP Home
>and thief the dark project.
>
>I just bought the game(used) for a friend and want to know anything
>to look out for in advance.
>
>He is using a ComPac celaron 2ghz system or something with 512 megs
>of ram if that helps.
>
>He also has a lot of aplications installed.
>
>Geneve

Read through the TTLG Technical FAQ. They've accumulated all the various
tips on making the games work with XP, nVidia cards, etc.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:57:06 GMT Michael Cecil said :

>Read through the TTLG Technical FAQ. They've accumulated all the various
>tips on making the games work with XP, nVidia cards, etc.
>http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031

Thanks for the link....

Geneve

--

"Terry Olsen" <tolsen64@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> from the command line, run the setup program with the switch: /LGNTFORCE

Sweet. Well, I assume so, I need to visit my pal to give it a try but still,
thank you!

JJ (UK)

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:20:43 -0700 Mos said :

>>> Are there other commands?
>>
>>Just one. Make me a sandwich ;-P.
>
> HA !
>
> I love it.....

You're sweet. If I had brushed my teeth
better this morning, I'd offer you a kiss

Paul Harris wrote:
>>It makes your computer load the exe. properly for
>>Windows XP. I had to do that for Gold and DP
>>before I could play them. XP is NT based and
>>doesn't want to recoginize the program otherwise.
>

> I have Windows 2000 and it runs Thief TDP just fine without needing any
> switches.

The issue is installing, not running. I *think* the T:DP should require
the lgntforce switch to install in Windows 2000 and up. I seem to recall
needing it for my Win2k machine. Thief 2 doesn't need it, IIRC.

The issue is that the installer checks the Windows version and refuses
to install on WinNT (which didn't support DirectX very well, if I
understand correctly). Since Win2k and up are based on WinNT, the
installer thinks they are WinNT and halts the installation. The switch
is used to override this check.

-Kevin

Geneve wrote:

> Ok so if I want to replay them in Windows 2000 pro I
> also might have top use some help.
>
> I wonder if any one in this newsgroup is using Windows 2000 Pro
> with T1/T2 ?

I've used Windows 2000 for Dark Project, Thief Gold, Thief 2, and System
Shock 2. All Dark Engine games seem to work fine, though the early ones
(maybe just the first?) need extra coaxing (in the form of the lgntforce
switch) to install.

-Kevin