Sign in with
Your question

Black screen when loading Windows 7

Last response: in Overclocking
February 19, 2013 10:22:10 PM

Hey guys,
I get two seconds of a black screen and my display resets (trying to find a source) right after the windows logo.

I have installed the new nvidia drivers 314.07 and I have a 840 pro ssd so I dont see why this is happening. Any help is appreciated.

Full specs:
Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Push/Pull
RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 16GB @ 1600Mhz
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
SSD: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 850
a b U Graphics card
a c 88 K Overclocking
February 20, 2013 12:05:04 AM

Personally, I suspect a windows graphics driver attempts loading which causes the reset. If you are not experiencing issues any other time, I wouldn't be concerned with it at this time. Mine goes through a ~one second purple screen at that point in loading, I have no problems with my graphics and it has done that since original build (scared me at first) so I just ignore it anymore.
Someone here may be insightful to what is really going on inside the system but that has been my assumption as to what is happening
m
l
February 20, 2013 12:44:33 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

Is there any way I can disable it? (disable the igpu itself through bios? or the driver?)

Any extra help is appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 88 K Overclocking
February 20, 2013 12:52:31 AM

I rarely turn off or reset my computers so I haven't looked into it

Anyone with some factual insight want to jump in here?
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:00:31 AM

Alright well I uninstalled my Intel 4000 Graphics and it's still happening.
Could it possibly be a Windows 7 problem?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 88 K Overclocking
February 20, 2013 2:24:25 AM

You might try opening this thread in the Windows section as a possible driver issue and see what kind of feedback you get from there
I did read in the MS forum (although I found no solution you haven't tried) to try booting into safe mode and seeing if it happens.
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:34:49 AM

C12Friedman said:
You might try opening this thread in the Windows section as a possible driver issue and see what kind of feedback you get from there
I did read in the MS forum (although I found no solution you haven't tried) to try booting into safe mode and seeing if it happens.

I tried booting into safe mode, i get through everything and when it's about to load, my whole comp restarts.

Also, I posted there but got no responses.
m
l
March 24, 2013 9:19:46 AM

I am having very similar issues with my PC and it feels like I am tearing my hair out. So if anyone does have an answer it would be very much appreciated.

Firstly I thought I had a faulty graphics card (ATI) as soon as the PC got past the windows logo on start-up, the screen would loose signal and the PC would reset.
I also found that the on-board VGA card worked fine and also if I disabled the ATI video card, it would also work fine on a 'basic-level'.
I ordered a new shiny graphics card (NVIDIA), installed it and exactly the same happened. i.e. with NVIDIA driver, PC restarts at Windows Logo, with driver disabled works fine on a 'basic-level'. I have also tried loading Win 7 and Win 8 on new partitions - same problem.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2013 1:05:57 AM

try moving data off the SSD and reinstalling windows
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 88 K Overclocking
March 25, 2013 4:59:01 PM

Are you using a monitor or a TV for your screen here? What are your resolution settings? At how many Hz?
m
l
!