Black screen when loading Windows 7

Austinwangg

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hey guys,
I get two seconds of a black screen and my display resets (trying to find a source) right after the windows logo.

I have installed the new nvidia drivers 314.07 and I have a 840 pro ssd so I dont see why this is happening. Any help is appreciated.

Full specs:
Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Push/Pull
RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 16GB @ 1600Mhz
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
SSD: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 850

Personally, I suspect a windows graphics driver attempts loading which causes the reset. If you are not experiencing issues any other time, I wouldn't be concerned with it at this time. Mine goes through a ~one second purple screen at that point in loading, I have no problems with my graphics and it has done that since original build (scared me at first) so I just ignore it anymore.
Someone here may be insightful to what is really going on inside the system but that has been my assumption as to what is happening

Austinwangg

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

Is there any way I can disable it? (disable the igpu itself through bios? or the driver?)

Any extra help is appreciated.

You might try opening this thread in the Windows section as a possible driver issue and see what kind of feedback you get from there
I did read in the MS forum (although I found no solution you haven't tried) to try booting into safe mode and seeing if it happens.

Austinwangg

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I tried booting into safe mode, i get through everything and when it's about to load, my whole comp restarts.

Also, I posted there but got no responses.

glibaert

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
I am having very similar issues with my PC and it feels like I am tearing my hair out. So if anyone does have an answer it would be very much appreciated.

Firstly I thought I had a faulty graphics card (ATI) as soon as the PC got past the windows logo on start-up, the screen would loose signal and the PC would reset.
I also found that the on-board VGA card worked fine and also if I disabled the ATI video card, it would also work fine on a 'basic-level'.
I ordered a new shiny graphics card (NVIDIA), installed it and exactly the same happened. i.e. with NVIDIA driver, PC restarts at Windows Logo, with driver disabled works fine on a 'basic-level'. I have also tried loading Win 7 and Win 8 on new partitions - same problem.