Sign in with
Your question

Random Restarts/Shutdowns - Desktop

Tags:
Last response: in Components
June 14, 2010 2:46:33 AM

Hi guys! I used the search button before posting a new thread and I did come to a similar thread, however, he stopped replying so I didnt get a solution. I decided to open a new thread :p 
Anyways my problem is the desktop would restart/shutdown randomly or at intervals. This has happened pretty frequently and I noticed it would restart at these points:
1. playing starcraft 2 (it was running fine until two weeks ago)
2. downloading/installing files
3. random idles
My computer specs are listed here from belarc advisor
Windows 7 Ultimate (build 7600)
Board: AMD690GM-M2
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/16/2007
1.90 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT [Display adapter] 1GB
249.89 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
230.78 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1P ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
WDC WD2500JD-75GBB0 [Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAEP1188994, rev 02.05D02, SMART Status: Healthy
This was a custom built desktop and the desktop itself has no brand. At first, I thought it was a corrupted file/virus so I decided to reformat, however, that wasn't the cause. My old psu was a raidmax 385w. I thought the psu was dying on me or something so I changed it to an Antec 500W psu. However, the previous PSU would restart/shutdown randomly and this one just restarts randomly. I dusted out everything, ran memory tests from the bios, and it still seems to occur. All my fans are working and I checked the heatsink and it looked fine(although I don't really know what are some physical damage besides burnt marks) and the CPU fan as well.
Here is a screenshot from speedfan.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/xero4006/aa3.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/xero4006/aa.jpg
time difference on bottom right.
Sometimes I would watch it on idle and i notice some spikes on temp1 from ~40C to 60C. the screenshot was taken during safe mode so that might be the reason why the GPU temp is not showing..? but it was at 50-70C.
Anyone have a clue what it could possibly be? I was thinking of cpu, heatsink, or the motherboard.

added two pictures not on safe mode. for some reason it didnt restart this time on safe mode(was running for about an hour! thats rare). Then when i restarted to normal, it restarted in about 5 minutes..
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/xero4006/aa4.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h145/xero4006/aa5.jpg
June 14, 2010 3:04:22 AM

it just goes through the windows process without a bsod. when it shutdowns, it just completely shuts down and i have to manually turn it on again by pushing the power on button
m
l
June 14, 2010 3:05:43 AM

just want to double check real quick, you say it "restarts" and "shutdown", as in it goes through the windows process? Or does it bluescreen, crash, just simply power off for a couple seconds and then starting back up?
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 3:17:22 AM

If something was overheating, it would just shut off as if you disconnected the power

If it was ram timings or drivers it would BOSD

Just randomly deciding to shut down, something has to tell windows to do this. You could play with power management even though that doesn't seem right if its absolutely random times.

Since on most computers when you press the power button, it tells windows to start the shutdown process.. So it is likely somewhere in that area. Does your power button or reset button have a short?
Does the motherboard have a short that has to do with the power button.
Do you have another computer box somewhere where you can switch the power button between the 2, temporarely, and see if that makes a difference.
m
l
June 14, 2010 3:28:04 AM

I was thinking of overheating as well, but how can I test it without another computer? :\
how do I play with power management? Isnt that risky?
how do I know my power button/rest button have a short? P.S i dont have a reset button
m
l
June 14, 2010 3:44:24 AM

Power management is just a windows maintenence in system tools that helps you save power and hardware usage. It decides when to shutdown different components or the whole system, or when to go into sleep mode and whatnot.

It's not overheating

You could take apart the power switch and see if you can't find something wrong there. All the power switch does is connects 2 circuits together so that the connection is established and completed for the PC to turn on.
m
l
June 14, 2010 4:22:27 AM

what am i looking for in the power switch?
i noticed my temperature one in speed fan was jumping from 4 to 20s to 30s and then to 50s and then i saw 80s but back to 50-60s just using youtube/internet websurfing :|
thank you
m
l
June 14, 2010 4:32:25 AM

I've just never heard of a system that's overheating decide to slowly shut things down, while using processing power to do so, so that it doesnt melt. Melting can accur in like 1-2 seconds. Every PC I have owned that has had heating issues including this one, immediately shut down bypassing any software it's running.

You could turn on HWmonitor and do some youtube and web surfing while running that. It'll tell you the minimum and maximum temp that it reaches during the process.. of every sensor.

As far as what to look for... Maybe a lose wire, or a lose piece of metal. I've honestly never had to take apart a power switch. I have used a -different- switch from a different computer before, but I didn't have to actually take the switch apart.

edit, not every PC shuts down.... I melted one once, an older one. But the new PC's (most of them) will just power off
m
l
June 15, 2010 12:10:02 AM

I've checked for every loose wire/metal :|
where may I download HWmonitor?
Thanks again
m
l
!