Mobo Asus M2N-E with Phenom II X4 970 BE

spania

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Hello,
I have flashed the BIOS to 5001 but i dont know how to go with the Asus recommendations. "Due to Bios ROM size limitation remove LAN PXE ROM and change Crashfree3 to Crashfree2"
Can anyone help me with this?, Im sick of googleing and I only find that I could live without those features but no one seems to know how to do it.
Thanks in advance.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
wait a minute.. Are you trying to get the X4 970 to work in that mobo?

Because for as far as I am concerned that is not possible. I had that exact mobo and looked around a lot to see if I could get a Phenom 2 X2 550 in there, and it was just not possible.

Sorry can't help you with the problem you stated.....

bluedragoon65

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
When you get in a bios jam the chances of a CrashFree bios recovery are slim to none. You could probably live without both of these features (or CrashFree 3 to CrashFree 2), don't feel cheated.

that doesnt answer the question. the question wasnt "what is crashfree?" nor was it "how does crashfree work" it was "how do i follow the recomendations given by ASUS to run the Phenom ii 970 x4 CPU" i would like an answer to this question as well because i am planning on upgrading my CPU soon and i dont want to go through the work (or extra cost) of having to entirly replace my M2N-e motherboard

Sopwith

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I believe the issue here is a bad english translation. It should read (in my opinion): "Due to [the] Bios ROM size [on the mobo, we have had to meet this] limitation [by] remov[ing the] LAN PXE ROM [from the BIOS] and [have] change[d the original] Crashfree3 [down] to Crashfree2. [You do not have to do anything to the BIOS to change these features - they will accompany the change in BIOS.]"

I was able to cram a AMD 965 into an M2N-E; broke a pin in the corner, but she works fine (after having to tweak the power states via the "PhenomMsrTweaker" utility - that you download; just google it). I updated to 5001 BIOS and it works dandy.

NoxNoctura

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

I think I just cried a little inside. Glad you got it to work, but that sounds like an incredibly unsafe installation procedure...