Tubbing size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Hello,
I pretty much have my part list together but I have no idea what would be the best size on the tubbing that won't restrict the flow rate, but won't let the flow rate drop too much either. Any help would be great, thanks.
I will be running;
**CPU-Swiftech Apogee
**GPU-Two 4850X2 XSPC full coverage water blocks
**Radiators-Alphacool 240 & 140 both 45mm-maybe 80mm thick with possibly a push/pull fan setup, depending on space.
** Koolance RP-401X2 dual Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM in series. Single 5.25" Reservoir.
**I'm undecided on the NB Chipset water block at this time.
**All going in a Cooler Master HAF 932 housing an ASUS Maximus II Formula.
THANKS AGAIN

Solution
You may want to go through my AMS build log(in my sig) mate, Its a cousin of the MIIF...meaning the Fusion block system.

any opinion on barbs vs. compression fittings?
Both are prone to leakage if not tightened properly. Both have their aesthetics but only one doesn't need a tubing clamp to keep the tubing on.

You could:
1| have thinner dia tubing over a larger Fitting to get a snug fit, however the edges of a barb will protrude.
2| If you're like me see if you can get the Perfect seal barbs by Alphacool, Bitspower , DangerDen and Primochill
3| The monsoon compression fittings are the cheapest when considering they come in a pack of 6 where if you bundled any other makers compression fittings in a pack of 6 would cost about $10...
Although I have read that 3/8" ID tubing is not that great of a restrictor (I run 3/8"), when I consider the journey you're sending the water through there (a fine journey it appears to be) I think I'd be looking at 1/2" ID tubing to accomodate that.
Just my take here

Tubing size doesn't have an impact on cooling performance, if its wider there's more water moving volume wise, if its narrower the water will move faster.
You get the same result at the end of it.

A common choice (and what I use) is 1/2" barbs and 7/16" tubing, that way you get a tight seal between fitting and tube.

Lutfij

Titan
MCP35x's are a D5 variant or in a laing housing. They require a minimum of 3/8" 's ID to be effective. anything above them and you're more than fine. Anything below that and you introduce restriction.

Martinsliquidlab had a test regarding them. Even a test of how much restriction/flow/pressure drop compression fittings and barbs may cause.

Getting tubing on a slightly bigger fitting is possible by dipping the tubing end on warm water to loosen it. Slip on the tubing and after it cools - the fit is tight.

Oh yeah scooter, I've got the older Rampage Extreme x48 - I'm interested in seeing how your work turns out in the end.
Build log? Please?

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Wow, everyone is really giving me good info! I just got done pulling it all apart, pulled the pin-fin heat sink off and reset it with Arctic Silver 5 and cleaned everything up. I'm in the process of getting all my parts, but I will be doing the water blocks on the GPUs in the next few days I'll see about pix as I go. Another question, any opinion on barbs vs. compression fittings? I'm liking the look and piece of mind with the compression fittings, but this project is pushing my budget and I have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
You may want to go through my AMS build log(in my sig) mate, Its a cousin of the MIIF...meaning the Fusion block system.

any opinion on barbs vs. compression fittings?
Both are prone to leakage if not tightened properly. Both have their aesthetics but only one doesn't need a tubing clamp to keep the tubing on.

You could:
1| have thinner dia tubing over a larger Fitting to get a snug fit, however the edges of a barb will protrude.
2| If you're like me see if you can get the Perfect seal barbs by Alphacool, Bitspower , DangerDen and Primochill
3| The monsoon compression fittings are the cheapest when considering they come in a pack of 6 where if you bundled any other makers compression fittings in a pack of 6 would cost about $10 higher.
4| as stated above, they are purely aesthetic nothing worth shelling to achieve a phenomenal flow rate or pressure.

According to the theme of your build, you'll know which way to take.
My Opinion though :)

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
IMG_0220.jpg

^DangerDen 1/2" OD PerfectSeal Barbs w/ 1/2" ID PC LRT White.

IMG_0134.jpg

^EK PSC 10mm fittings or 3/8" OD compatible with a max of 5/8" OD tubing.

:) the 2nd project was an excuse to try out the compression's.

There is no real functional difference between comps and barbs, but comps do look a little nicer. I actually ran both in my last loop because my GPU block was not able to handle 1/2" ID 3/4" OD compression fittings, but could do it with barbs and clamps. (If you're not going to run 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing, you won't need to worry about issues like this on most components).

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.