Sign in with
Your question

Installing New Motherboard & CPU--Not working

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
December 11, 2010 12:49:58 PM

Hello,

I'm pretty new and still learning a lot about PCs, but i'm no fool. I had a friend over to help me install a new Motherboard and CPU, it was time for an upgrade. Background--

Original Computer is a Dell630i, Q6600, 4GB of RAM (DDR2), Dual NVIDIA 9800 GT, Running Vista 32bit.

I wanted to get a boost, so i purchased the following

- Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
- GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 1
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

So we took out the old mobo, installed the new one correctly (we thought) and tried turning it on. It turns on, fans spin, and then it turns off. It tries rebooting continually until I unplug the power.

My initial thought was that there was a power supply problem. My current power supply has a 750w Max, and it worked with my old motherboard. I don't know if it's good or not. I'll give you more specifics on the PS if you guys need.

A friend suggests that since it's a dell case, the wiring may not line up correctly. The "Front Panel" connections are also confusing to me, we're sort of just guessing where to plug them in. We got the front power button to work, and the LED lights turn on.

I'm hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction. Should I just purchase a new case? Am I making a rookie mistake?

I'll take photos and add them to the post when I get back home.

More about : installing motherboard cpu working

a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2010 1:41:10 PM

Get a new case for those nice parts.
m
l
Related resources
!