Sign in with
Your question

Many problems with new PC

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2010 3:30:35 PM

Alright guys I've given this thing to 2 techies with tons of experience and they haven't figured it out, so I decided to ask you. I bought parts to build a pc off of newegg back in December for gaming. When I built it and installed games, I noticed that it would freeze up and ultimately either crash looking very pixelated, or BSOD and say that nvidia driver had failed. I gave it to a techie and he said it was the mobo, so I went out and bought a new mobo same exact model and the problem was not solved. I took it to another techie who told me it was the hard drive, bought a new hard drive and it would BSOD on the XP install disc prompt "setup is launching windows". I got my hands on a geek squad diag disc and ran the system diag tool on it, and everything passed except for the hard drive. I decided to get a hard drive off of my old PC that has run perfectly for the past 2 years and stick it in hoping I could reformat it and it would work. However, when I put it in and booted the XP install disc, it would crash like the others on the "Setup is launching windows". I had 3 XP discs and all did the same. I have tried swapping video cards aswell. To top it all off, when I put the old hdd back into the old PC, the PC now will not boot up any program besides the internet without freezing up. What went wrong there? What is wrong with my PC? Could it be the PSU making bad vectors? I'm at a total loss and about to give up and scrap the PC, but I need an answer on what is wrong with my old PC too....

Specs on new pc:
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply
4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

More about : problems

April 4, 2010 3:43:14 PM

what make ram is that
April 4, 2010 3:45:01 PM

OCZ Gold Edition, sorry
Related resources
April 4, 2010 3:52:30 PM

Have you tried mobo ... ram... pro and just the video card.

Then a liunx distro dvd?

I don't use linux that much but they must have some diagnostic programs on it. Hopefully someone else might be able to chime in with that.

Does your mobo have a cpu... memory diagnostic?
Have you tried memtest86 to rule that one out?
http://www.memtest86.com/

edit
Agreed did you set the timings to auto first? Your best bet is to find another person with a recent build that would let you test your parts in his known good system.
April 4, 2010 3:52:35 PM

is the ram voltage and timings set correctly in bios?
April 4, 2010 3:54:47 PM

I've ran multiple mem tests on all memory (cache, video, ram) and no errors were there. The techie set the timings for me.
April 4, 2010 5:00:34 PM

What does the system do if you go in and restore factory default BIOS settings?
That's the very first thing you should have done.

A flaky power supply can also cause all sorts of problems.
April 4, 2010 9:25:06 PM

Like I said the best way to rule out something is find another computer you can test with. I know it'll be hard to find someone that will let you plug components into their comp but what eles can you do?
!