Maybe I'm Stupid

mfeele01

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hi,

I built my own computer and it works! I'm a dentist, usually I can figure out most things....but for some reason overclocking seems so hard to me. I've read the sticky's and articles on how to oc and I feel like I have a dyslexia and can not make any sense of the process. I just read this post and literally it blew my mind..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

Can anyone dumb this process down for me? I know there's a lot to it, but I need a basic instruction list like step 1, step 2....and so on. This is what I have..

HafX 942
intel i7-3930k
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
Corsair AX1200

2x GIGABYTE Geforce 670
G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB)
Samsung 830 series 256 MB
Western Digital WD Black 1 TB
Lite-On Black 12x blu-ray burner

I know I have good air cooling and should have the components to set up a decent oc. I just seem to be lacking the knowlege.

Please help!

Hi,

You'll need to download some free programs first, you'll want CPU-Z to check your overclock has been applied (CPU-Z tells you information about your PC), you'll also want a program like Hardware Monitor to monitor the temps, this is important when you stability test your overclock to make sure it's stable, and for that purpose you'll need Prime95 (or similar).

The guide you read goes into alot of detail, much of it is unnecessary for a beginner.

Really all you need to do is increase the CPU multiplier and increase the Vcore if needed.

Well I tell a lie, it's slightly more complicated, here are the steps I would take first,

1) Set up your RAM to it's rated values, set the frequency it should run at, you can do this with the memory Multiplier, also set the DRAM and timings to their correct values, you can find this information on the side of the memory sticks.

2) Set a manual Vcore value, It should be on AUTO at the moment but you'll want to control this yourself, so set a value of about 1.2V to start off with.

3) Increase the CPU multiplier to something like 40 to start off with.

Save and exit the BIOS.

If it boots and you get into windows then you can start stability testing and finding out what your load temps are.

mfeele01

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Ok, so basically I need temp monitoring and a stress test program. I also need CPU-Z or similar program to confirm my settings.

Then I need to manually enter in the RAM settings.

Then I increase the multiplier, restart, stress test....increase again...and so on until I hit a wall....

Then increase voltage, increase multiplier again, restart and stress test....keeping an eye on temps.

I'm not going to OC the ram or video card at this point.

Final question...what kinds of temps should I be happy with duting idle and during load?

google for the max temp of your gpu and cpu. 60ish should be good for an oc'ed cpu.

also, some tips in ocing, patience is a virtue. do not just jump to your target (say 5ghz), if you know what you are doing, you can start high but dont go straight. be careful with voltages, make sure you know the maximum that the part can handle.

don't push your luck, stress test. also, do not adjust too many settings at a time unless you know what you are doing.