Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HOW TO KNOW ABOUT GOOD INTERNAL/EXTERNAL HDD

Last response: in Storage
May 8, 2012 11:08:44 AM

Hi

I am planning to get a new external HDD and want to have some knowledge about it. I read on sites and compared for a best HDD
just want to know little that
what's the difference between 3.5"and 2.5 " External HDD performances as 3.5" is cheaper(other than portability)
HDD requires external power are good or not?
what should I check before buying a HDD

As I have sata dock station in my cabinet, so is it good to use internal HDD over External HDD?

Best solution

a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 11:59:32 AM

3.5 and 2.5 are the physical sizes of the disks. 3.5 inch is used in desktops (bigger) while 2.5 is used in laptops (smaller) I would suggest 2.5 external because they require just a usb cable to power on, i have a 3.5 external and i need to have additional power running to it (not portable)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
heres some 2.5 external hard drives listed, usually look for good reviews. some products are new and they dont have any reviews yet. newegg has a good return policy if the hard drive fails. remember not to move your external hard drive when reading / writing stuff to it
May 9, 2012 6:38:12 AM

thanks

I also face power fluctuation at home sometime
so I think direct supply to HDD can harm it, I also thanks to you for providing link
but newegg won't ship it in my country or it will become costly after the export

But I got best knowledge at least from there and I can search that HDD on the basis for that

m
l
May 16, 2012 5:57:29 AM

Best answer selected by vish22.
m
l
Related resources
!