5870 or 2x 5770??

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have enough to get any of the 5870's, and my setup can handle either setup. I first thought I would just get the
5870 its fast best single gpu. Then I was reading that the 5770 isn't all that bad, so I was wondering if
anyone had an opinion about this. I would probably go with XFX either way, and right now I am waiting
for the new MSI 890GX-GD70 and the sata face out not up which is good for the 5870, and the Ultra X4 1050
has either 6x6pin or 3x6 and 3x8 pin PCIe, so latter If needed I could get a second 5870.
thanks for any feedback

Solution
Get a 5870. If you feel the need to add a second card, it is an easy plug-n-play process. If you feel the need to upgrade 5770s, you will have to buy 2x better cards anyhow.

Until a transmission failure chewed up most of my new build budget, I was intent on getting 2x or 3x 5770s. In retrospect, my desire for a multi-card system was stronger than rational thought process. I should be ordering my 5870 after next payday, heh.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Get a 5870. If you feel the need to add a second card, it is an easy plug-n-play process. If you feel the need to upgrade 5770s, you will have to buy 2x better cards anyhow.

Until a transmission failure chewed up most of my new build budget, I was intent on getting 2x or 3x 5770s. In retrospect, my desire for a multi-card system was stronger than rational thought process. I should be ordering my 5870 after next payday, heh.

Solution

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I would do a single 5870 now as well. The 5770's DO scale really well, and generally do actually beat out a single 5870, but a single card now, upgradable to 2 in the future if you need it, is generally a better option, unless the price difference is big enough to really warrant it. I mean, it you have the money for a 5870 now, its not a worry, but if the 5770's were cheap enough it'd be a good call.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah I first wanted a 5970 but I checked over 30 sites and none of them had one in stock so I didn't want to mess with it and its ridiculous size!
Since I have just been reading tons on the 5870 and its was said to be the fastest single gpu on the planet, so unless the fermi cards
can get under 400 on the level of the 5870, then I might consider but I know I there ain't no way, and even if they did, radeon would just drop the
price so either way I will win. I have been back in forth between cases but I feel in love again, but this time with the antec 1200, it has everything
I need at an AFFORDABLE price, and every post on newegg says they got it so there 5870 would fit.
I know amd hexies and 890GX's come out at the end of April and any time after that will be when I get all my pieces.
I probably won't get a hex, cause quad is plenty for me, I just want the 890gx-gd70 to put a couple of 5870's on, cause there perfect
the sata's face out, they will run 16x, 16x, 16x, 16x/8x, but I am not sure on the last one, but thats what I have read and x16 is just the way to go.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
If you really want to wait for the best chipset, you'll want the 890FX. The 890GX will be 16x or 8x/8x for PCI-E Graphics, just like the 790GX was (only adds 2 PCI-e lanes compared to the 790GX, so not enough for full 16x/8x). The 790FX was the one that could do full 16x/16x or 8x/8x/8x/8x and I'm sure the 890FX replacement will also have that capability.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah I meant 890FX-GD70, the super sick new version of the 790FX. Yeah I want one so bad, the current one is great, but not sata 6gb/s and USB 3.0. Its Dr.MOs, north and South look insane. I am glad they kept the OC dial, so you can OC on the fly with out reseting the bios and what not, which will come in handy!
So I need to get a good graphics card for my new MoBo!

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
For true. Well we already know Nvidia gets a kick out making people wait for something they have no idea what it is. Second they probably won't put out there whole stock they will probably release so many that people pay hella, we will more than likely see them on Ebay for thousands.
I use to be all Nvidia, at first I was going to setup a Nvidia system for 3-D, but then I realized why should I sacrifice my entire computer just to play games in 3-D, and then I became anti-nvidia. I go AMD all the way anyways why not join ATI!
Anyways all of nvidias cards that are out right now will be worthless in a year, and anyone who dosen't read the internet and gets one, is really stupid.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

Brand Loyalty is ok, it is a comfort thing for a lot of people. One of the reasons I look to ATI before Nvidia when choosing a GPU for myself or someone else. There are compelling reasons to own either product, and repelling drawbacks for each, as well. A person's decision making procession will decide what is relevant. From the Fanboy to the anal number-crunching price/perf addict, there is always a reason for someone to chose one over the other. As for which team deserves which labels, if you don't like what you see today, just wait six months, it will most likely be different. Sorry Mr. Twain, had to plagerize a little bit there.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah there is ups and downs no matter what(Drivers). I have been researching for about a month and I am probably going to wait till my birthday 9/26ish to buy my complete setup, mainly cause by then everything should be settled and will be the end of Q3. Also I would have more access for money, plus it gives me longer to save, so I would probably be able to get two 5870 and all the goodies I can handle!!
I don't like the idea of waiting about 6 months, but I know its for the better for all I know the cases I want will have its newer version also. If I did go with that date, it would make my current computer exactley 5 years old.
I plan on researching everyday, I love foruming, I think its the greatest way to learn, I was able to accomplish something in 1 day, that took me a week to figure, cause all you do is ask! Toms is the best everyone wants to help even if your newbie, you'd probably laugh if I told you, what my first list of what I wanted to put together, that was about a couple a months ago.

seerwan

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

I fully agree with:-
- 5870 is the fastest single gpu on the planet, and is the best-value high-end card available, UNLESS the fermi cards are faster at the same or similar price which will make them overall better deals (though no eyefinity - and we're still not sure about routing dolby audio through fermi like evergreen).
- Get a new mobo in a couple months when Sata 6GB/s and USB 3.0 are out [i'd also say wait for pci-e 3.0, but it seems it'll take till next year, and its still not really necessary as of yet].

Peace.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I am definetly waiting on the new mobo for sure, and unless the fermi cards wow me, I don't plan on one. The pciE is way to long so I will have to pass unless it gets
a new release date of this year. I just hope that by june the quad cores and ati 5800's go down in price just a little. The intel hexs care out on tiger and the i5's dropped like 30 bucks. I am AMD always have and will be, I am a gamer so it better suits me. I would like to see radeon come out with a set of cards I heard there coming out with something new but not as big as these Fermi cards are out to be.

5870 for the win :D. I love mine, the only thing is it's so darn big ^_^. I plan to ad another 5870 down the line, but it will probably be some time before it's my GPU that isn't letting me play games on high settings.

I think Fermi will be faster, but I don't know about the availability due to the very poor yields. AMD learned about the problems with 40nm making the 4770, but I hear nVidia ignored them and didn't want to delay Fermi in order to make the corrections that would fix the yield issues. Oh well, guess we'll find out soon enough

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I think nvidia is all talk and no cahona's. How long has Dx11 and gddr5 been out?
They keep saying they have this they have that, but they don't got shiz until its being used inside are houses playing really cool video games.
If I wanted to sit around and pretend whats coming out next year is already made and sit around and talk about nothing cause I no nothing about it till the day its on the shelfs, well I am just not a big fan of waiting in line to nowhere land and esp. no interested in paying $500+ to be in line either.
I am cool living in the real computer world were my card is already released and pretty much all the bugs are out.

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
get a 5870. the 5770 is fantastic but crossfire still has issues, same as sli does. the 5770 is a great solo card but if you really need the extra power go for a 5850 or 5870 instead of crossfiring 5770's.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
The 5770 is good for an economic package if you don't have the cash for the big boys, but I am doing an economic package but I am not going that cheap.
I just got to figure which one is the one, I liked the XFX XXX, I am pretty sure its one of the fastest if not the fastest and its another part to add to my lifetime warranty list of parts. I still don't know what case I am getting I am still debating but I did already choose the X4 1050 I don't like anything else( have been suggested tons) this psu has 6x6pin PCIe and all modular, so I don't think there is any other PSU that I would rather run than it, which will let me do 3way CFX 5870!!!!The cases I have been looking at all have enough space for these beasts that are called 5870.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
According to the quote below the new GD-70 can run 4 5870! The case I am looking at can only handle 3, but I am not worried, cause who needs four 5870?!?!
I thought it was intersting but I couldn't find a legit answer for the config.
will it be 16 16 8 8, or 8 8 8 8?? The most I will ever do is three but I probably will only do 2, which I am hoping will be 16 16.
Right now I plan on getting the 690 2 advanced, I was going to get the 840 or the spedo but they didnt have what I wanted as much as the 690 does.

"As far as GPU connectivity is concerned, the 890FX-GD70 employs six PCI-E 2.0 slots and supports Quad-CrossFireX using four discrete single-GPU cards from AMD. The exhibitors at MSI were running a similarly-loaded board with four Radeon HD 5870s in Quad-CrossFireX without any problems."
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17167/81/

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Yeah... 3x5870 is probably gonna be plenty for a good long while:p Also- a PSU that can handle that type of power with 8 PCI-e connectors is not gonna be easy or cheap to find:p As far as the PCI-e lanes go, if you are running 2 cards, it should be x16/x16 and if you are running 3 it should be x16/x8/x8 I believe. That is at least how the 790FX was and I doubt the 890FX would add enough PCI-e lanes to do higher than that. I love the CM R690, and I imagine you will be VERY happy with the 690 II. Good luck:)

How much is that gonna cost? I was looking at the GD70 790FX for my new build, then this comes out.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I to was going to get the current GD-70 then I researched and the projected date is April 26thish when the HExys come out. As far as price I couldn't get a solid number cause most were hypothesis's bases on statistics, but from what I gathered it shouldn't be more than 250, but no lower than 220. But like I said its not 100% accurate, but hey rumors start from somewhere. Hopefully we will know by the end of PAX east.
But about the cards I was looking at the sapphire toxic 5850 and I liked the blue color and what not, the only problem is for 10 bucks more you got a 5870.
So I have been going through tons of different opinions on which brand is the way to go. I am still at this phaze and would like to spend no more than 450, but hopefully the new 5870-6's and the new Fermi's drop the price on them.
So I am sitting and waiting for the time to strike, I project that I won't be able
to put together a full computer until about june or july. That way all the new stuff comes out plus prices should be settled in.