Sign in with
Your question

Can't see or access my second hard drive

Last response: in Storage
May 8, 2012 11:53:44 AM

Hi,
I can't see or access my second hard drive. Although it is shown at the start-up screen and also at the disk management window.
It is shown as an unallocated area and i can't initialize it or do anything to it However i can't and i don't want to format this hard drive because it contains a very important data for me

( when i try to initialize the HDD through the disk management it keeps showing an error saying " the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" )

--More Information--
operating system: Windows 7 pro 64x bit
first hard drive: 1T Western Digital
second hard drive: 1T Western Digital - one partition only

More about : access hard drive

a c 383 G Storage
May 8, 2012 12:13:10 PM

You don't want to initialize the drive in this case or you will destroy the data on it. try using a partition recovery tool and see if you can recover the partition.
m
l
May 9, 2012 1:12:36 AM

Thanks for answering .. will check it and will let you know what happened.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2012 1:44:42 AM

But will the program see the hard drive while i can't see it except through the disk management and not in my computer ?
m
l
a c 383 G Storage
May 9, 2012 11:59:33 AM

Not sure. Some programs are better than others at rooting out hardware. The easiest way to find out is to install the software. Worst case, just uninstall the software if it doesn't fit your needs.
m
l
May 10, 2012 11:06:22 PM

I've tried it and it never saw the HDD .. it's not shown in this program .. how can i make it seen ?
m
l
a c 383 G Storage
May 11, 2012 11:49:09 AM

If data recovery software can't find it, the only way to make it seen is to initialize it through disk management. You said you already tried it, so the drive may be beyond repair. I'd try a few more recovery software before giving up.
m
l
!