Border around HTPC desktop with Samsung TV

davidtu

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I have an HTPC I set up with the Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H. It has a built-in ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card and I have it hooked to a Samsung B650 plasma tv using HDMI connection. There is a black border around the entire desktop at all times although the TV and desktop both appear to be set to 1920x1080. I don't want to burn in the plasma with this border so please advise how to fix.

Thanks.

davidtu

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

What do you mean by "power....properly"?

The best I can do is choose Wide fit on the plasma, which of course makes the image fall off the edge on either side and makes navigation of UI very difficult and unpleasant. I presumed that with 1920x1080 set for card and plasma and going via HDMI there should be an exact match and no problems. Can anyone explain why this would not be so?

Thanks again.

The HD4200 is perfectly fine for all 1080p media content.

The borders you see are due to the scaling of the HD4200 driver. For some reason ATI has underscan enabled by default. You need to go into Catalyst Control Center, go to 'Displays', right click on the smaller representation of your display (not the large one above it) and select 'Configure'.

You will now have a window that has a 'Scaling Options' tab. Go to that tab and move the slider to get rid of the black borders.

davidtu

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

A million thanks to you!! That worked as you said. The Catalyst UI is like a catacomb... I never would have found that without your help.

If anyone has the same problem, in the version of Catalyst that I have at least, you will find the aforementioned* menu choice on the "Graphics" dropdown on the upper left of the Advanced Catalyst Control Center screen.

(*And actually the menu choice reads "Desktops & Displays" on mine)

Awesome! Thanks so much!

G

I ******* love you roflz

SwindleUK

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I have a Ati 6950, a friend came over, pointed out I had a black border. I found this article and the solution worked a charm.

Still don't quite understand how my PC gave me a black border while my xbox didn't but its sorted now.