Sign in with
Your question

New WC build - Please Comment

Last response: in Overclocking
February 20, 2013 12:55:27 PM

I posted on here about a year ago with a potential WC build which, due to lack of funds, never went ahead. The dream did not die, though! I've since gotten a second 560Ti, and as I use the Maximus V mATX board the tight spacing between the cards has pushed me towards pulling the trigger on my WC loop.

I've put together the following build. Now, I know it probably needs more rads for the CPU (OC at 4GHz) and the 560Tis (MSI TwinFrozr2 version, 880MHz I think). However, I'm happy to settle for a 'warm' WC loop. My CPU hits load at about 45-50 deg C with my H100 and my single 560Ti hit 65-70 deg C with the Kuhler 620 mod. Those temps are fine by me as they're within the design limits of the chips and better than I'd get on air anyway. This WC loop is to give me the cooling I need for my system, not to get the lowest temps possible...just bear that in mind as you critique the build.

My budget is about £400, but I've already gone over that slightly. This is all going in my 700D case...I don't intend to mod it out of stock config, beyond getting a 92mm fan to blow between the cards to cool the passive heatsinks. I already have a fan controller (NZXT Sentry Mesh) which will run the 4 fans on my rads and the pump.

The build:

Radiator 1 Phobya G-Changer 360 V.2 £58.99
Radiator 2 Phobya G-Changer 120 V.2 £31.99
Fans Yate Loon D12SM-12 120mm £18.32

CPU XSPC Raystorm £49.99

GPUs XSPC Raystorm GPU £102.00
Passive Heatsinks (Arctic VR GTX 460) £10.00

Reservoir/Pump Alphacool VPP655 - Single Edition £54.98
XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir £49.99
Laing Threaded Screw Rim For D5/VPP655 £1.49
Replacement O-Ring For Laing D5 £1.79

Tubing Masterkleer PVC (4m) £13.96
Fittings 1 8x angled connectors (4xrad, 4xGPU) £17.76
Fittings 2 4x straight connectors (2xres) £4.76

Filler Bottle 250ml £2.59
Demin Water 1 L £4.99
Additive Silver Kill Coil £4.08
TOTAL £427.68

Thanks for the input!

D.

More about : build comment

a c 78 K Overclocking
February 20, 2013 6:25:10 PM

Whats the ID x OD of the masterkleer tubing and the fittings you're getting? I don't know about UK stores/groceries but isn't demineralized water alot cheaper than 4quid? I suppose you could wait for Modo to show up and post an answer to that.

I suppose the rest are ok :) 
February 20, 2013 7:36:20 PM

3/8"ID-5/8"OD. No huge drive in any direction, other than the fact that the Raystorm GPU can't take 0.5" compression fittings. I was considering the EK -VGA Supremacy, which is cheaper (even after the mounting arrangements are bought) but I got the impression EK aren't the best from t'internet searching.
Related resources
February 20, 2013 7:37:09 PM

Sorry, forgot to say...demin water probably is, but I was compiling it on one site. Once I pull the trigger, I'll be off to my local car parts store and getting it for buttons.
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 20, 2013 7:41:06 PM

EK aren't popular with watercooling vets cos of their nickel shipping peeling ordeal - that apparently costs you your warranty. I have their Compression fittings but am yet to try them out.

Regarding demin, you could also try distilled for a quid a jug of ~5litres. Me thinks.

As per GPU's might want to head down to swiftech and see if their universal cooler's passive mosfet plate is supported by your GPU.
February 20, 2013 7:45:24 PM

I will do, but think I'll be whacking on some passive heatsinks. A mate is machining me a bracket for a 92mm fan that I'll mount next to them with the help of a friendly drill. :) 
a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2013 8:25:19 PM

Overall plan looks solid. I ran 2x6950s (~560Tis) with a decent 360 + 120 and sat at around 42/45 C on GPU1/GPU2.

I would try and use a low speed 92mm fan - they tend to be a little noisy, and you don't need a ton of airflow to properly cool the passive heatsinks (the sinks do most of the work).

Lutfij also has a good point with the Swiftech uni-sink; their blocks are quite solid and the uni-sinks are cheap enough.
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 3:28:00 AM

@ Boiler1990 - great seeing you around here again mate! Welcome back [:lutfij:3]

@ Diellur - machining huh? I'd like to know if I can avail his services too :D 
February 21, 2013 6:01:03 AM

Unfortunately I think this was a one-hit wonder, although he could probably make a killing selling custom-made parts.

I'll put some pics up once the build is done. Hopefully be ordering in the next week or so, and building after that.
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 6:29:41 AM

Why not just have a build log thread? :) 
February 21, 2013 6:56:03 AM

Because that involves taking lots of pictures and writing lots of stuff. :p 
a c 176 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 7:10:19 AM

But its fun to have a build log :D .
Plus, its good for us Guinea Pigs to demonstrate to other potential water-coolers how things are done.
a c 150 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 7:11:54 AM

diellur said:
Because that involves taking lots of pictures and writing lots of stuff. :p 

Who said you have to type?
February 21, 2013 7:24:42 AM

manofchalk said:
Plus, its good for us Guinea Pigs to demonstrate to other potential water-coolers how things are done.

Actually, that's a good point...I've looked through plenty to get ideas, so it would be selfish of me not to return the favour! Thanks for that point. :) 

I'll take some snaps as I go through the process and post them up. Won't be immediate...I'm doing a part-time degree alongside work, so time is tight! Don't expect an amazing-looking loop...not going for colours or anything funky at this stage, just the functionality of being able to remove heat from my case!
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 7:52:04 AM

Who said anything about a snazzy looking build log? :p  Although a planned and thought out loop is both pleasing to the eyes and hearts of the end user and the viewer(reader).

Take your time. The more you think it through - the better the outcome of your loop :) 

In architecture there's a long running debate of whether form should follow function or if function should follow form. I say, is it hard to achieve both ? :) 
February 21, 2013 7:56:50 AM

Here's hoping! When I first built my system, it was always with the plan of going SLI and watercooling, so it's nice to be at this stage. My main concern is missing something obvious, but no-one has pointed anything glaring out, so I'm just going to crack on and see where we get to.

Actually, as an aside, the rad layout is going to be the 360 at the top of the case and the 120 at the rear exhaust location. The rear exhaust can take a 140 rad however...is there any discernible difference between the two? I've found plenty of info on the performance of 360 rads, but not so much on 120/140s.
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 7:58:37 AM

120 over 140 ? More surface area and a larger fan means more airflow at a reduced noise level.
a c 176 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 8:07:01 AM

Bit more surface area with the 140mm rad over a 120mm, so it can dissipate a bit more heat vs an equivalent 120mm.
You wont find much info on 120/140mm rads because the larger ones are more important. Very rare for a loop to be made of 120mm rads, but very common for a 240 or 360mm rad. If you can find a review on the 360mm version, just dividing its TDP result by three will get you a rough idea of what to expect.

Actually, found something you missed :D .
How do you plan to drain and fill the loop? Don't see anything along the lines of a plug fitting for a drain or fill line

Also you may want some 3pin to 3x3pin fan cables, that way you can connect all the fans on one side of that triple rad to the one channel (slider) on the fan controller. The Sentry Mesh offers 30W per channel, so it can handle the load just fine.
February 21, 2013 8:20:41 AM

OK-d, I'll take a look at the rad reviews and decide. I guess it's a case of seeing if the extra temp drop is worth the extra coin...pushing the upper limits of my budget already!

manofchalk said:
Actually, found something you missed :D .
How do you plan to drain and fill the loop? Don't see anything along the lines of a plug fitting for a drain or fill line

Good point. I'm planning my arrangement to be RES - PUMP - CPU - 120/140 RAD - GPU1 - GPU2 - 360 RAD - RES. When the loop leaves GPU2, it'll be at the lowest point in the case, and the 700D has a level beneath that...I think I'll put in a T-connection there and then run a spur off the main loop that's plugged. That way I can just open up the plug and drain the loop as needed. Sound reasonable?

manofchalk said:
Also you may want some 3pin to 3x3pin fan cables, that way you can connect all the fans on one side of that triple rad to the one channel (slider) on the fan controller. The Sentry Mesh offers 30W per channel, so it can handle the load just fine.

I'm not too fussed about that. I'll have 4 fans on the rads and 1 pump, so happy with using the 5 channels that way. The other fans I'll run from the motherboard (one intake and the 92mm). They're silent fans anyway (140mm intake is Be Quiet and the 92mm is Noctua).
a c 176 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 8:34:32 AM

Where will the pump and res be mounted? Just that loop order seems strange to me, it would involve running tubing past the 360mm into the 120/140, down through the GPU's than back up to the 360 rad, than back down to the res.
If the pump and res is mounted toward the bottom front of the case, would do Res -> Pump -> bottom GPU-> top GPU-> 120/140mm -> 360mm -> CPU -> Res.
Seems to me that would achieve the cleanest run.
February 21, 2013 8:44:44 AM

The res is a dual 5.25" bay model, the XSPC one that takes the D5 pump, so it'll be quite high in the case, just beneath the 360 rad. So the inlet to the res will come from the 360 rad (I'll mount the rad so the ports are towards the front of the case) and the outlet from the res will feed into the CPU. Then the loop progresses down the case before returning. I've seen some pics where the return loop actually goes through one of the cable-routing cutouts and up between the back of the case and the outer side panel before coming back into the case and connecting to the 360 rad.
a c 176 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 8:50:12 AM

Ahh, I get it now.
Actually, I suggest you have a look through my build log (in the sig), toward the end I have a similar setup (minus GPU's) to how yours will be. I used a Crossflow radiator to cut down a lot on tubing, and its a pretty good result aesthetically.
February 21, 2013 9:58:59 AM

First, cracking build...and damn you for putting the idea in my head of 2x360 rads!!

Good shout with the crossflow rad, that might be quite useful for me.
!