790FX or 890GX

jhopp

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I am debating between these two motherboards:

890GX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

or

790FX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128415

I have already picked up an F3, G.Skill Ram, and HAF 922. I am planning on ordering a AMD 955 BE along with my other components I need just needed help choosing between these two motherboards or any other one you would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I see several differences. The FX board is a fully loaded board with almost any port a person could want including dual gigabit ethernet. Fx boards usually have top of the line overclocking capabilities, the best caps and power phases. The mobo is capable of running 3 video cards, but most people will never use a 3rd slot.

The 890gx as mcghee mentions has on board video. I'll assume with the rig you are building that gaming is what you're after. The 890gx also is a new chipset so there may be some growing pains involved. I am uncertain if the new chipset would handle the SATA3 and USB 3.0 interfaces better than what they installed on the FX board. Also as previously mentioned there is the 6 core upgrade path to consider.

If I were...

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I took a real quick look over on them, I guess the question is, do you need onboard video? Also looks like the 890X supports 6 core AMD CPUs. Other than onboard video and 6 core support I dont see a difference. So take that into consideration and pick 1. Or simply look at price comparison

I see several differences. The FX board is a fully loaded board with almost any port a person could want including dual gigabit ethernet. Fx boards usually have top of the line overclocking capabilities, the best caps and power phases. The mobo is capable of running 3 video cards, but most people will never use a 3rd slot.

The 890gx as mcghee mentions has on board video. I'll assume with the rig you are building that gaming is what you're after. The 890gx also is a new chipset so there may be some growing pains involved. I am uncertain if the new chipset would handle the SATA3 and USB 3.0 interfaces better than what they installed on the FX board. Also as previously mentioned there is the 6 core upgrade path to consider.

If I were buying today, I would probably go with the FX board unless I read a compelling review where the merits of the new interfaces warranted a new chipset risk. So far, I haven't seen that and there are really no devices currently capable of using the increased bandwidth.

Solution

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
ah, yes but the 890gx has a better southbridge which improves SATA3 and USB3 controllers that tend to... well suck in the 790 series and sap your PCI-e lanes and get diminished performance. and it still supports most if not all of the same features that the 790 supports as far as overclocking esspecially this asus board, in fact the northbridge is the exact same as the 790 from what i have read. the only difference is the southbridge, don't remember where i read this, but ill check once more and get back to you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&cm_re=890gx-_-13-131-631-_-Product

the only thing the ASUS board is not incredible with is overclocking the memory, however it will do very well in that even still. ill post some reviews that take note of that and still show the board performing well.

jhopp

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I went digging around for more information and have found that the 890FX motherboards are to be released sometime in April (some sites say the 16th while others say the end of April). Along with this some sites said that they are to be released along with the new Phenom II X6.

So I was wondering if any of you guys have heard any news about either of the two with regards to release dates and would it be best then to just wait for these "enthusiast's" boards (890FX) and new 6-core processors?

cmcghee358

Distinguished

I remember reading somewhere that the 6-core Phenoms were going to release early in Fry's Electronics. I don't remember dates. If you live near one and want to stop in ask to look at their CPU list.

If you're like me though, going into Fry's Electronics is VERY dangerous lol.