Sign in with
Your question

How Long Does It Take to Defragment a Hard Drive?

Last response: in Storage
May 8, 2012 4:33:19 PM

How long does it take to defragment a hard drive?

I have had Defraggler working for about 20 hours and it says it has > 1 day left to go. The hard drive is a 1.5TB WD Caviar Black (7200rpm) and is about half full.

More about : long defragment hard drive

a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 5:04:20 PM

It shouldn't take that long. It's possible the defragger crashed. Unless you hard drive has so many errors on it that the defagger is taking it's sweet time.
m
l
a c 265 G Storage
May 8, 2012 5:31:33 PM

Yep agree that is too long!
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 5:39:50 PM

What size drive and the brand, what defrag. software are you using and has it ever been defrag. before. The time reported is very long as most drives defrag. in a few hours under worst conditions. It could be that the software is incorrect in its' reporting. If it said this at first but after say 10-30 min. it may revise much lower.
m
l
May 8, 2012 7:42:46 PM

Dogsnake said:
What size drive and the brand, what defrag. software are you using and has it ever been defrag. before.

I provided that information in my original post, except for the defrag history. I am using the latest version of Defraggler. It has been defragged before. Perhaps not in the last six months, though. And perhaps I have added 200GB or more of files to the computer since then. Most of that would be in photos and torrent downloads.

Does Defraggler repair the disk as it goes? If the hard disk has a lot of errors, how would Defraggler handle that?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 9, 2012 4:26:44 AM

Sorry for the missed info. If you are defrag. If you are defrag. free space as well it will take longer. However 2 days of process is way to long. If you are using Win7, the built in defrag. is very good you might give it a try.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 9, 2012 9:45:41 AM

TomBrooklyn said:
How long does it take to defragment a hard drive?

I have had Defraggler working for about 20 hours and it says it has > 1 day left to go. The hard drive is a 1.5TB WD Caviar Black (7200rpm) and is about half full.

This is depend on the numbers of your fragment, the more fragement you have the longer it will take, btw, if there are some bad sector, it will prolong the time
m
l
May 19, 2012 1:56:56 AM

I moved the hard drive to an i72600K computer and it defragged in a few hours.

Everything I try to do on the computer that hard drive came from, an 8 year old Pentium 4, is taking forever, I have found out.
m
l
!