Good+quiet cooler for i5 3570k (may OC)

Mike341

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
hello fellas, im here to figure out the last component for my build i have doubts about. the cooler! now, i cant afford good water cooling, so its gonna be good old air this time around :)

i´ve been looking at a bunch of em by now and the most memorable was these:

Zalman CNPS12X --for being incredibly cool, while performing very well

Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo --for being nice and cheap (not the right performance though)

Noctua NH D-14 --for being quiet (not sure how quiet, please do tell) while doing the job like a champ, but unfortunately it looks like something straight out of Obi-Wan Kenobis wardrobe :(

Thermaltake Frio extreme --for keeping load temps insanely low, and having nice ascetics but unfortunately having an unpleasant noise level...

now, this is just what i´ve seen, and not my candidates. by no means should you feel limited by this list, i just felt it´d show my priorities. to clear those up a little more heres a list of things i want for a cooler to do:

1: stay quiet! this is number one because there´s nothing i hate more than a boot-up reminding me of my latest flight. in an otherwise quiet system i dont want this component to ruin it

2: suitable for OC. from reading and reading and reading, i´ve got the idea that 70C and below is the comfy zone for most cpus. i like those numbers and if a cooler can keep an over clocked i5 3570k to 4.2GHz in that zone, im happy :D obviously the lower, the better

3: astetics. this is not at all important, more of a bonus if you will. im getting a HAF X with all of this, and if the cooler you find have a black/red/both color scheme, and fill out the other prios, im sold!

im gonna setup my haf x to mostly intake for a positive air flow (getting demciflex for it as well) if that changes anything, i dont know :)

thanks!

The Xigmatek Gaia is $20 right now. It is a 120mm direct-touch tower style cooler, similar to the CM Hyper 212 line, but up to 6db quieter (per Frostytech reviews). It also comes with the silicone sound insulating pegs to mount a second fan in push-pull configuration. I use them on my systems, and am entirely satisfied with their performance and lack of noise.

Mike341

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

wow, i never heard of that cooler. checked some reviews out but its hard to decide how it will perform for me. i like to keep my room tempature around 20C which isn't a lot, so thats a plus. people are having all sorts of different results...it looks very nice but since ive never heard about it before, it´ll need a bit more research on my side.

to everyone else if you post the coolers you´re using yourself, please write some temps you´re having so i can compare better :)

another important note to mention is i live in denmark so prices here will be like amazon.co.uk
ive looked at the Phanteks PH-TC14PE and it looks good to say the least. definitely a canditdate to consider. but i cant get it from where i shop!!

the price for the noctua nh-d14 is in my country twice the price of the zalman cnps12x which is my current...not justifiable :(

Depending on time of year, my systems both idle in the 29C-32C range, and I don't believe they crack 55C during games; in fact iirc it's more like 45C. I don't have Coretemp loaded at the moment, and need to leave for work shortly. I'll try to remember to recheck later.

well I keep my room chilled all year around but my i7 at idle sits in the mid to high 20c and under load gaming I have seen mid 50s but most of the times its around 45c. I'd have to run prime to tell you max load temps since I have not over locked yet