Assembling new box. Should I update my bios?

amoebachiba

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I'm in the middle of assembling a new box, using an asus p6x584-e mobo.

Should I update my bios, or should I only sweat that if there is a particular need/problem? I'm kind of in the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" club.

Solution
I'm a fellow card holder of "If it ain't broke, Don't fit it" club. I'm a believer in updating your BIOS for two reasons, 1) The BIOS update has a fix for a known issue you have or 2) It gives you support for a new component (i.e., a new CPU), which you currently don't have support for & plan to use.

tecmo34

Administrator
I'm a fellow card holder of "If it ain't broke, Don't fit it" club. I'm a believer in updating your BIOS for two reasons, 1) The BIOS update has a fix for a known issue you have or 2) It gives you support for a new component (i.e., a new CPU), which you currently don't have support for & plan to use.

Solution
If you meant the P6X58D-E then there's nothing compelling other than new CPU support. A botched BIOS makes for an expensive paperweight. The i7 970 is about the only reason to update otherwise IF you've had any instability.

1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability
3. Support new CPUs.

amoebachiba

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Sage advice as always, jaquith - thanks!

And I'm happy to report that the new box just successfully posted :) Tommorow, figuring out what I should mess with in said bios, and ye olde OS install. Woot!