Sign in with
Your question

Questions about the parts I chose for a $600 gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2010 7:24:59 PM

I've had a crappy laptop for a couple years now and I decided that I wanted to start playing computer games and that it would be fun to build a computer. So I set out to build a PC for around $500 that would be able to play new games with good settings on my 1680x1050 monitor, but after reading reviews on this site and others ended up choosing parts that cost about $600, but I'm very happy with what I ended up with. I just wanted to ask a few questions before I go ahead and buy the parts. Here are the parts I chose:

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus

Powercolor Radeon 5770 HD 1GB or XFX Radeon 5770 HD 1 GB

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

G.Skill 4GB DDR3 RAM

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Power Supply

Hitachi 500GB Hard Drive

Gigabyte Case

ASUS DVD Burner

On Windows 7 Ultimate that I already have

So I have a few noob questions that hopefully you all can help me with:

1. Are these part all going to work together? I've looked around and they seem to but it would be pretty disappointing to get all the parts and then have to ship one back.

2. As far as the Radeon card goes: I can get the XFX card in a combo with the ram for just ten more dollars than the Powercolor one, but is it going to be any different? Anybody have good or bad experiences with either company?

3. Can the 5770 run dual monitors? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I can't seem to find an answer online anywhere.

4. Is there any component in here that is worse than the others and would slow down the computer?

5. Is there anything you'd suggest I downgrade or spend a little bit more money on?

6. Does anybody know of a better looking case for less than $50? I like how cheap that one is but I don't like the design very much. I have to sleep in the same room as the computer so preferably one thats not to loud and without a lot of LEDs.

7. Lastly, the most important question, would this setup be able to run new games with good settings in 1680x1050 resolution?

Thanks in advance everybody! :wahoo: 
April 4, 2010 8:06:27 PM

1. All these parts will work together, yes.

2. That's actually a difficult choice. Usually I recommend XFX over other brands due to the double lifetime warranty, but the Powercolor's larger fan is rather appealing. Your choice.

3. Yes, it can.

4. It seems balanced.

5. I suggest you consider mobos supporting USB 3.0 and/or SATA III, like this one. I would also spend a bit more to get a set of lower latency RAM. Last thing I would suggest is a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 in place of the Hitachi. Both are only a dollar more, but run faster and more efficiently due to their 500GB/platter design. That Hitachi uses two 250GB platters.

6. Here's a combo with the Antec 300 and your PSU. Honestly, it's hard to recommend most sub-$60 cases.

7. A 5770 is perfect for a res of 1680x1050.
April 4, 2010 8:54:59 PM

blackjellognomes said:
1. All these parts will work together, yes.

2. That's actually a difficult choice. Usually I recommend XFX over other brands due to the double lifetime warranty, but the Powercolor's larger fan is rather appealing. Your choice.

3. Yes, it can.

4. It seems balanced.

5. I suggest you consider mobos supporting USB 3.0 and/or SATA III, like this one. I would also spend a bit more to get a set of lower latency RAM. Last thing I would suggest is a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 in place of the Hitachi. Both are only a dollar more, but run faster and more efficiently due to their 500GB/platter design. That Hitachi uses two 250GB platters.

6. Here's a combo with the Antec 300 and your PSU. Honestly, it's hard to recommend most sub-$60 cases.

7. A 5770 is perfect for a res of 1680x1050.

Thank you for the reply! So this RAM is compatible with the motherboard you posted right? Also, I like this case's design better, do you think it would do the job?
Related resources
April 4, 2010 11:08:50 PM

Yep, that set of RAM is compatible with the mobo.
The M59 certainly has a strong appeal with the mobo tray cutout, black interior, cabling holes, etc, but it's a rather narrow case. If you plan on using an aftermarket cooler, make sure you take that into consideration. The Rosewill Wind Knight and Thermaltake Element T cases are similar cases that are a bit wider. Oh, actually, the NZXT Beta Evo looks like a good choice. Same interior design, 8.11" wide, and actually cheaper after rebate. :bounce: 
April 4, 2010 11:56:39 PM

Personally I would go with XFX over Powercolor, Powercolor is kind of a budget manufacturer.
April 5, 2010 3:18:42 PM

Okay thanks I'm going to go with the case you linked to. I was able to get a better PSU and a almost free dvd drive for ten more dollars with this combo :sol:  . Also, am I going to need to add another cooler with my current setup, or is that just something I'd need if I was overclocking? Oh and I was just curious what I get with the lower latency RAM you recommended over the first one. Thanks again!
April 5, 2010 3:37:56 PM

Oh and sorry I didn't respond to you about the 5770. Do you think it's worth the extra $20 I'd have to spend? The people on Newegg seem to like it.
April 5, 2010 7:18:03 PM

The MSI Hawk doesn't look bad. It's overclocked to 875MHz too.
!