Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Antec Earthwatts 650 vs.SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W

Last response: in Components
June 14, 2010 12:25:51 PM

Hey guys, another noob question from me.

I've been building out an i7-930 desktop and things are going smooth - once I realized I needed to hook the power supply up to the motherboard before testing it,i.e., not DOA because I just hooked it up to a fan.

Anyways, I picked up the earthwatts 650 at Microcenter for 80 bucks, and it seems decent enough, though the mess of cables is kind of bugging me. I had my eye on the SeaSonic X650 at newegg for 180, but as I buying the parts for my setup at microcenter this weekend, I succumbed to instant gratification and got the earthwatts 650. Now it wasn't a completely emotional decision since that model was on my short list of PSU to buy.

After reading the reviews of both PSUs on jonnyguru.com I don't think I'd go wrong both both but I'm wondering if the Seasonic is worth biting the bullet. Basically its double the price of the earthwatts. It gives me a modular PSU that's 80plus gold certified.

My usage isn't going to be over the top, I'm not much of a gamer, so I'll not be using SLI or any high powered graphics card.

So, I'm looking for opinions for or against the choice of the SeaSonic X650 over the Earthwatts.

Thanks in Advance
Mike

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2010 12:47:30 PM

Those PSUs are targeted for different markets.
If you want one of the best 650W PSUs ever made, ultrasilent, fully modular, exceptional built quality, and if the high price is not a problem for you. Go for it. It's an amazing PSU.
On the other hand, the ANTEC EartWatts 650 is a quality PSU that has been made by Delta Electronics which is one of the best PSU manufacturers nowadays. It has one PCIe 6-pin and another PCIe (6+2)-pin connectors (so you could ever install another 5770 in CF without any problem) which are joined to take 12V3 all to themselves (25A). There are three independently regulated +12V rails in total (2x22A + 1x25A). Its voltage regulation is very good. The ripple and noise suppression is good enough.
It has high efficiency and due to it, the PSU keeps itself cool as well. Moreover, it performs quietly (the fan is an ADDA AD1212HB-A71GL, which is a quality one)
Considering the affordable price, the Antec EarthWatts 650 is a great choice. If I were you, I would keep it.
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2010 12:55:13 PM

That Antec is good but if you want a modular one you can get the Corsair HX650 or Antec TruePower New 650.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 1:03:22 PM

Henry Chinaski said:
Those PSUs are targeted for different markets.
Considering the affordable price, the Antec EarthWatts 650 is a great choice. If I were you, I would keep it.

What market is the seasonic being marketed towards?

Anyways thanks for the info regarding the earthwatts. The positive write up on jonnyguru, certainly made my choice on the two a bit more difficult.

I think you alluded to my concern in your write up, that is, the seasonic may be over kill for my needs and that's why I posted this question, to garner opinions/suggestions regarding these two.

I haven't built a desktop in quite some time - we're talking intel 486 days :D  I've been on a mac since then, but I've tired of the closed off environment apple pushes and I was hankering to do some geeky stuff, again. Because its been so long since building a rig, I need to relearn so much.

Thanks
Mike
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2010 1:17:48 PM

maflynn said:
What market is the seasonic being marketed towards?

The market for hardware enthusiasts.
There a lot of high quality PSUs that performs very well and cost much less than the X-650.
m
l
June 14, 2010 1:40:14 PM

Henry Chinaski said:
The market for hardware enthusiasts.
There a lot of high quality PSUs that performs very well and cost much less than the X-650.

Given the high marks given to earthwatts, by jonnyguru and postings here, I may just keep it.

I'd probably have to eat a restocking fee at microcenter if I were to return it and while modular PSUs are nice to reduce the cable clutter, I'm not going to be pushing the computer to a point where I'd be worried about the cables impacting air flow or have the case open to show off the innards either.

I'm not knocking anyone doing that, but we are talking about a powersupply, after all, and I don't want my OCD behavior to over analyze this too much :) 
m
l
June 14, 2010 5:14:36 PM

Best answer selected by maflynn.
m
l
!