Sign in with
Your question

CPU Questions

Last response: in CPUs
June 14, 2010 12:30:06 PM

Ok. I have a computer. A Acer Aspire AST 180. It says it has an Athlon 64 3800+ Processor in it. When I tried to look up the specs on acers site I saw where it says Athlon 64 x2 and 64 semphron(?). How do I find out the proccessor that I have in my computer? Im really hoping I have the dual core version as those seem to be more powerful from what I have gathered on all the articles I have read. So can anyone tell me how to find out which I have? i tried looking up this system by using the serial number on the site but it tells me its an invalid serial number and I have emailed acer about this. oh and one more thing. How can I tell how powerful the Power unit is on this? Im having to replace my video card because it burned up. Thats why I cant find anything out about the computer on my own right now. Any and all help or suggestions will truely be appreciated. thanks

Sammy Busby

More about : cpu questions

a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 12:40:45 PM

How many CPU's can you see in Windows task Manager?
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 6:30:53 PM

Thank you guys for replying but I cant use the program you suggest or use the task manager. The video card is fried and im having to get another one. Thats why I was wanting to know if there was some way I could tell what chip I had some other way. I was hoping there was soome way to identify it without taking it all apart.
Anything that will let me visually identify it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 6:39:38 PM

SammyBusby said:
Thank you guys for replying but I cant use the program you suggest or use the task manager. The video card is fried and im having to get another one. Thats why I was wanting to know if there was some way I could tell what chip I had some other way. I was hoping there was soome way to identify it without taking it all apart.
Anything that will let me visually identify it?

Open the case, Remove the cooler from the cpu and read what is written on surface of the processor. If it's a 3800+ you will see ADD3800IAA5CU.

m
l
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 6:57:22 PM

You have a couple options. You can take out the CPU as suggested, and look at it.

or

You can borrow someone's video card, slap it in, and run CPUZ. Not only will this give you the CPU model, but it will also verify that the video card is the problem, and not the PSU, or something else all together.
m
l
June 16, 2010 10:11:19 AM

Ok. This is what i did. I removed the heat sink and the fan and then removed the cpu from the socket. I have a lowly AMD 64 so I guess that means i need to upgrade the cpu and the motherboard then.... Im not sure what motherboard I have as it doesnt really say anywhere on it. Any way I can find out so I can find out what chips I can use with it?? Im on a very very fixed income and it may take me some months to come up with enough money to get both a new cpu and motherboard to upgrade this dinosaur. OR can I somehow OC this one to last me a little bit longer until i can afford the upgrade??? From what I can gather from the motherboard it has HT 2000 Revision 1.0A. Thats all the info I can get from the board itself
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2010 11:50:06 AM

CPUZ will tell you the motherboard model as well.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
June 16, 2010 5:49:31 PM

You can find out how strong your power supply is by looking at it. Open your computer case up and there should be a sticker on the power supply with all the information you'll need on it.

You may also be able to upgrade the processor and keep your current motherboard/ram. I would just get the video card you need now, than after you get your system running use cpuz to identify your motherboard and figure out what processors would be compatible.
m
l
!