Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 285 in SLI temperature, should I worry?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 17, 2010 2:14:15 AM

Hello, I have 2 GTX 285 in SLI, and I noticed that the temperature seems to be a little elevated when I'm playing games.

GPU IDLE:


GPU FULL LOAD (Bad Company 2):


I'm using NVIDIA 196.21 Drivers.

Should I be worried??

Thanks guys..
a b Î Nvidia
March 17, 2010 2:18:54 AM

Woah, that is a bit high for NVidia cards. How is your case airflow? Check your GPU fan speeds with GPU-Z and make sure dust is not clogging any ports/fans.
March 17, 2010 3:07:35 AM

EXT64 said:
Woah, that is a bit high for NVidia cards. How is your case airflow? Check your GPU fan speeds with GPU-Z and make sure dust is not clogging any ports/fans.


Hello, I'm using an Akasa Infinity ZOR:


I believe the airflow is at the very least decent.
About dust, I'm not really sure. The video cards are around two months old.

The EVGA software controls and tells me the fan speed, I just cut that part, sorry. On the idle picture the fan speed was at 40%, whereas on the full load one the fan speed was at 100%.

I'm a little worried, since this is my first time having Nvidia (I'm an ex-ATI guy).
Related resources
March 17, 2010 3:18:24 AM

Just open the side case panel and see how much the temps drop...
I'm sure you'll see some improvement.
March 17, 2010 3:31:49 AM

mesh casing without side-airflow = fail
March 17, 2010 3:42:11 AM

shubham1401 said:
Just open the side case panel and see how much the temps drop...
I'm sure you'll see some improvement.


You were right, there were some improvements with the side panel opened.

IDLE:


FULL LOAD (Or almost, around 2 minutes of bad company 2 graphics maxed out):


Is it still worrying?
March 17, 2010 6:23:06 AM

Well, load temps seems to be fine now.

But Idle seems a bit too high...
That's probably because fan speed is set too low.
Set it manually to 50% for Idle and 80-100% full load or gaming. :) 

This might help as well.
a b Î Nvidia
March 17, 2010 10:41:52 AM

Fan speeds do seem a little slow. That case should have decent airflow. Does that program allow you to adjust fan speed?
March 17, 2010 2:54:13 PM

EXT64 said:
Fan speeds do seem a little slow. That case should have decent airflow. Does that program allow you to adjust fan speed?


Yeah, it does, the idle temp is @ 60C of GPU1 and 48C of GPU2 when I woke up today (I put a fan in the room - not in front of the computer). The computer stays in a very tiny room with no airflow whatsoever, and with another computer way hotter. That has got to be a factor, right?
March 17, 2010 4:03:22 PM

shubham1401 said:
Well, load temps seems to be fine now.

But Idle seems a bit too high...
That's probably because fan speed is set too low.
Set it manually to 50% for Idle and 80-100% full load or gaming. :) 

This might help as well.



I have one EVGA GTX285 and with the fan set on auto it never goes over 60% and lets the card stay around 95c when its at full load. When i get to anything above 90c I start noticing visual artifacts in games, especially BFBC2. At idle it runs at 40% and my temps are at 48c.

I have an antec 1200 case with an extra side case fan mounted blowing cool air in directly over the card and feeding it cool air from the room. The room is well ventilated and the case stands freely with nothing around it. Everything else in my case runs very cool so I doubt air flow is an issue.

Using EVGA precision tools I have my fan set to 72 % and it never goes over 80c but at 72% it makes a lot more noise than I like when I'm just browsing the web or not using the pc. What I would like to know is how I can set my fan to run at 72% only when I'm gaming and 40% when at the desktop.

What can i use to make it change automatically depending on what I'm doing instead of having to manually change profiles in EVGA precision. My girlfriend and my roommates game on my pc all the time when I'm not around and I don't trust them to change profiles before gaming and don't want to leave the fan cranked up all the time. Hell, I even forget to change the profiles sometimes.

This is the 3rd EVGA GTX285 card I have had in under a year. The 1st two both fried using the default settings and I don't want the same thing to happen to this one. I am glad EVGA has replaced the dead cards for free (except for me paying shipping costs and my down time with my PC) but I will NEVER buy another EVGA graphics card again after this experience. I used to think they were a quality company but apparently they suck at cooling or just suck at graphics cards.

If anyone can offer a solution or can tell me how to set it to change fan speeds depending on the demand I would greatly appreciate it.
a b Î Nvidia
March 17, 2010 4:04:45 PM

I believe Riva Tuner can do that, though I have not used the program in a while.
March 18, 2010 3:24:18 AM

mursh said:
I have one EVGA GTX285 and with the fan set on auto it never goes over 60% and lets the card stay around 95c when its at full load. When i get to anything above 90c I start noticing visual artifacts in games, especially BFBC2. At idle it runs at 40% and my temps are at 48c.

I have an antec 1200 case with an extra side case fan mounted blowing cool air in directly over the card and feeding it cool air from the room. The room is well ventilated and the case stands freely with nothing around it. Everything else in my case runs very cool so I doubt air flow is an issue.

Using EVGA precision tools I have my fan set to 72 % and it never goes over 80c but at 72% it makes a lot more noise than I like when I'm just browsing the web or not using the pc. What I would like to know is how I can set my fan to run at 72% only when I'm gaming and 40% when at the desktop.

What can i use to make it change automatically depending on what I'm doing instead of having to manually change profiles in EVGA precision. My girlfriend and my roommates game on my pc all the time when I'm not around and I don't trust them to change profiles before gaming and don't want to leave the fan cranked up all the time. Hell, I even forget to change the profiles sometimes.

This is the 3rd EVGA GTX285 card I have had in under a year. The 1st two both fried using the default settings and I don't want the same thing to happen to this one. I am glad EVGA has replaced the dead cards for free (except for me paying shipping costs and my down time with my PC) but I will NEVER buy another EVGA graphics card again after this experience. I used to think they were a quality company but apparently they suck at cooling or just suck at graphics cards.

If anyone can offer a solution or can tell me how to set it to change fan speeds depending on the demand I would greatly appreciate it.



Same thing with my card dude.
It is noisy when fan speed is more than 50%.But I use manual profiles using Zotac Firestorm (My card is Zotac) :) 

There must be a 'Automatic Fan Control ' option in EVGA Precision(I haven't used this software).

Otherwise try Zotac Firestorm:
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=...

I dunno if it will work or not(As your card ain't Zotac). But you can give it a try atleast :) 


!