Sign in with
Your question

Transfer OS from HDD to SSD, Help Needed

Last response: in Storage
May 8, 2012 6:59:58 PM

Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0

Is this program safe to use and functional to transfer Windows 7 from HDD to SSD ?

I am building a new system and just ordered a 128gb SSD. I need to get my OS Windows 7 System Builder from my HDD to the SSD. Currently my OS is installed on 2X 1TB HDD's in Raid 0. I will be installing the new SSD in the new build.

Would I be safe using the above program, or would a clean install of Windows 7 on the SSD be the better option? then re install programs? Also If I use the Paragon software, should I transfer the OS to the SSD in my current rig now, or wait for the new build and install all harddrives all at once and transfer it.

Also will I run into any issues reinstalling Windows 7 System Builder on the new rig? All the components will be new. Any guidance is appreciated.
a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 7:11:53 PM

I'd recommend a clean install. Windows does some optimizations during setup when installed on an SSD. Remember to unplug your HDD during Windows installation.
m
l
May 8, 2012 7:23:17 PM

aicom said:
I'd recommend a clean install. Windows does some optimizations during setup when installed on an SSD. Remember to unplug your HDD during Windows installation.

Will I be able to re activate Win 7 OEM on the pc with a new motherboard? If not, will I get anywhere with trying to get Microsoft to activate by phone support, or would that just be a waste of time?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 7:25:35 PM

Whether you reinstall or not, swapping motherboards will require you to reactivate Windows, which will fail since it's an OEM copy.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 7:38:19 PM

Yep - think that's a clean install. If it ever goes out to check for updates and revalidates itself, you'll be hosed.
m
l
May 8, 2012 7:49:51 PM

Western Digital's version of True Image (on Western Digital's website only) works well...
m
l
a b G Storage
June 4, 2012 7:39:35 AM

A free ware Aomei partition assistant home edition, could help you migrating os to ssd. and you do not need to register windows again
m
l
!