External sound card

Ansman

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hey!

I'm thinking of buying the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 system for my PC and well, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Which is better do you think, built in sound card or the DAC in the Z-5500? (Analog or optical)
2. How much difference do you think one would notice from the built in card compared to an external sound card?
3. Have anyone here tried a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 (That's their external X-FI)? In that case, is it any good?.
3.1 Did you experience an audio delay, some people claim there can be up to a second in audio delay.
3.2 Some people claim that the drivers use a huge amount of system resources, is this true?
4. Does anyone have any experience with DTS and DD from a chip like mine using analog or optical (S/PDIF)?

Specs:
Sound Chip: ADI AD2000B
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

ADI is one of the better onboard sound, but it is still onboard sound the sound quality is good, but not as good as if you had a dedicated card. I have the Z 5500 and I used them with the optical and I have used them using analog connection via my Creative X-Fi Titanium and I like the quality of the sound from the x-fi better then letting the Logitech do the processing. External sound cards are crap they grab the digital signal via a noisy USB port and are just not good no matter what manufacturer makes it.

Ansman

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

I see, well I'd be more than happy to buy a real sound card but the problem is it just won't fit. I'm using an SLI-setup which means that the sound card would actually touch my graphics card which I really don't want.
On the other hand I could just sell my other card since I actually watch alot more movies than play games but I don't know, that just doesn't feel right :)

So what do you think, let the speakers do the processing or let the built in card do it?

EDIT:
I just realised that I have a spare PCI-E x1 free which I could use and luckily there are X-FI for x1 :D

The x1 X-Fi Titanium Fatality is what I have I love it has great sound quality, you should also look at the ASUS D2X they are great cards too.

Ansman

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

It seems like the only difference is the shield, some LEDS and 64 instead of 16 MB of ram.

I just ordered a set of Z-5500 and an Creative X-Fi Titanium :)

You are correct about the differences and I really have no clue if the extra ram makes much of a difference but I love it and never had a problem with it. Mine also came with the front drive bay connect.

Good Luck

Ansman

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks! :D

Maybe you're not using Mplayer Classic (or the home cinema variant) but how do I get the most out of movies with it? Do I need to add some external creative filter that handles the DTS decoding or will the built-in one suffice?