Art_73

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Hi All,
After experiencing many of the issues that plague owners of this model I decided to replace the motherboard with an ASUS Rampage III Gene. The swap went smoothly and the new motherboard booted first time. Some of the details: The CPU cooler was reused on the new mobo. Front panel connection pins were extracted from the stock header and installed on the ASUS header by simply pushing them on the pins. I reused the psu and plugged the 4 pin 12V connector into the 8 pin receptacle (pending arrival of a Corsair CMPSU-650TX). Everything was pretty much plug and play. Yes, I had to disassemble the whole computer to make sure the right plugs and connections were utilized. I "downgraded" the 8G of RAM to 6G in the tri mode. Boot up went well except the fans were at 100%. ASUS has software that addressed this and now the computer is quiet and solid. No more BSOD or corrupted OS. Results were not surprising. The Windows experience index went from 7.2, 7.2, 6.3, 6.3, 5.9 to 7.5, 7.5, 6.5, 6.5, 5.9.
I decided to write this to encourage all those who are struggling with this model to bite the bullet and put the problems behind you. Good luck and happy computing.
-a

JoachimK

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

I am facing the same problem with an e9180t blue screening all the time and was looking at replacing the mobo. Are you saying the ASUS Rampage III Gene will fit in the e9180t enclosure? Screws in the same position, connectors in the back in the same position, etc.?

thx

mikesc

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I am now considering what to do with my e9180t after I just found out about the motherboard problem. I have had 5 yrs of problems with this machine and HP never notified me of the issue even though I purchased it directly from them. Never again will I buy HP, but want to salvage my investment. Right now it starts up fine and I rarely get the BSOD, but after 30 min or so everything hangs and apps will not open.

So is the best option to find an Asus Rampage III Gene or are there other options like taking the parts and trying to build another system in a new case?

LGA 1366 Intel X58 motherboards including Asus Rampage III Gene haven't been manufactured in years. The X58 platform is obsolete. If you want to go that route, try eBay and the used marketplace.

Many of the parts on the e9180t are out of date. Current SATA hard drives are SATA 6G (6.0 Gb/sec). Video cards used in the e9180t are not DirectX 11 models. Triple channel memory is not used on non-X58 chipset motherboards.

You could buy a bare ATX PC case. A mid-tower is commonly used. Mini-towers use micro-ATX size motherboards.
http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/Category/ID-9?Tpk=pc%20case

mikesc

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Thanks . Sounds like I just might want to move on from this disaster. I didn't realize how out of date the components are.