Sign in with
Your question

Using the ATI 5xxx to Break Passwords

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 2:49:14 AM

I'm not sure if posting this kind of news is a violation of the ToS (fellow mods, feel free to close/delete this as needed), but it's still interesting nonetheless:
Quote:
Yes, you've read that correctly - using ElcomSoft's Wireless Security Editor, the company claims ATI Radeon HD 5970, a dual-GPU consumer card broke 100,000 passwords per second. In comparison, Tesla S1070 with four Tesla C1070 boards achieves 52,400 passwords. For comparison Intel Core i7 920, a 2.66 GHz CPU with eight threads can calculate 4000 passwords per second, or 25 times slower than a dual-GPU beast from AMD. Intel's sexa-core beast, Core i7 980X at 3.33 GHz cannot pass 6000 passwords per second - even with hard-encoded AES-NI encryption instructions [AES-NI is a feature of 32nm Westmere architecture].

Another news item that squarely falls in ATI's favor—comparisons to CUDA apparently showed better performance on the part of NVIDIA's competitor.

Source
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 2:58:59 AM

:heink:  Have you read this sticky? :lol:  on a more serious note it's one thing discussing the hardware and quite another asking how, and that is some impressive number crunching going on there.
March 17, 2010 3:10:18 AM

Impressive.
I wonder if the 5870 performs at 50,000 passwords/second or more due to its higher clocks.
And I wonder how to do this . . . just kidding.
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 4:18:40 AM

Mousemonkey said:
:heink:  Have you read this sticky? :lol:  on a more serious note it's one thing discussing the hardware and quite another asking how, and that is some impressive number crunching going on there.

Exactly what I was thinking... we're just talking about the act here, not providing any details. :D 
duk3 said:
Impressive.
I wonder if the 5870 performs at 50,000 passwords/second or more due to its higher clocks.
And I wonder how to do this . . . just kidding.

Now now, careful! :lol: 
!